The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aloe Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Aloe Plants| Next thread: Aloe Question »
Back to Thread index
by GardenGuy_Gardener on May 12, 2006 12:41 PM
I have an aloe that is doing good, and its sending out babies at the bottom. On another post someone said that if you leave them on, the mother will get the energy sucked out of it. Is that true? And if so when/how do i cut the babies?

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by margaret e. pell on May 12, 2006 02:37 PM
Not true. I have a pot of about 10 aloe of varying sizes that started as one offset. The original (Mom-plant) is still the largest and growing strongly. The first offsets are offsetting, and I have no intention of splitting up this group. This is the way they live in nature, in large colonies. If you want to pot up a baby or two separately, just pull them gently from as low as you can. They'll break off, maybe with a root or two already if they were largish babies. Let them dry out in the shade for 2 or 3 days to heal over the break, then pot and grow as normal; a fast draining soil, not too much water, and plenty of direct sun light. Sounds like yours is happy. Good going!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Wendy Giro on May 13, 2006 06:25 AM
I have about 25 aloe plants in my house. You can leave the babies attached to the mother, but eventually the pot will get so crowded the will start deforming because of the lack of space. Make sure you have the mother planted in a wide enough pot if you are planing to leave the babies attacked to the mother.

Good Luck

"No hay sitio mas hermoso que el lugar donde creci."
by GardenGuy_Gardener on May 15, 2006 12:46 PM
Thanks for the info! [Wink]

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Aloe Plants| Next thread: Aloe Question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: