The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bulb Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bulb Question| Next thread: bulbs »
Back to Thread index
by Deborah L. on September 27, 2006 08:10 AM
Do those of you in the cold winter/snow areas put your tulip and other bulbs in the fridge for a few weeks before planting?
We do here.
Or, do you just plant them as soon as you buy them, and if so, what time of year do you plant your bulbs?
Also, is that crocus-coming-up-through-the snow thing true, or just something to make Californians drool?

-
 -
by comfrey on September 27, 2006 09:24 AM
Most people who have winter/cold, just plant their bulbs in the fall, mother nature provides for them. And yes the crocus do bloom in the snow, It is something for people who have winter to "drool" over, while waiting on spring.

-
 -
by TomR on September 27, 2006 09:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Do those of you in the cold winter/snow areas put your tulip and other bulbs in the fridge for a few weeks before planting?
We do here.
Or, do you just plant them as soon as you buy them, and if so, what time of year do you plant your bulbs?
Also, is that crocus-coming-up-through-the snow thing true, or just something to make Californians drool?

I plant mine as soon as I buy them in late September/early October.
Since your winters are much more mild maybe you need to do that.
We plant them as long as the ground is workable.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by Deborah L. on September 27, 2006 09:50 AM
Good to know.
Comfrey, by "making Californians drool" I meant that we don't have such a pretty thing happening here. Crocus, I mean, lol.
Lotsa other good stuff though !

-
 -
by comfrey on September 28, 2006 09:31 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Razz] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I knew what you meant Deborah, by drooling, that's why i used it when I relied [kissies]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on September 28, 2006 10:21 AM
OH, OK ! LOL !

-
 -
by sibyl on October 02, 2006 05:30 PM
i plant all my spring flowering bulbs in fall,octobers the best month for me. i plant all my summer flowering bulbs in spring, aprils a good month. and fall flowering bulbs i plant in summer. we may have crocus here, but i bet you have flowers all year long [flower]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 04, 2006 01:20 AM
Yeah, that's true.
On the other hand, we don't really have seasons.
Just hot to cool to chilly to cloudy and then back to hot.
[Frown]

-
 -
by sibyl on October 04, 2006 02:13 AM
can you plant your bulbs any time of the year? do your bulbs bloom by seasons ? it would be nice to just leave tender bulbs in the ground, instead of digging them up every year! sometimes i forget and it kills my bulbs [Eek!]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 04, 2006 04:04 AM
We plant after chilling the bulbs from when we buy them until February.
Yes, they bloom by "season" here, not that we have real seasons.
We can leave bulbs in the ground, but not with super good results. They need a good real winter such as all you normal people get !
[Big Grin]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bulb Question| Next thread: bulbs »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: