The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bulb question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Bulb question| Next thread: Bulb Question »
Back to Thread index
by hisgal2 on March 23, 2005 10:26 PM
I was at Sam's Club on Monday and saw that they have boxes of bulbs on sale. I'd like to buy a box, but I won't be able to plant the flowers where I want to for a couple of weeks. Can I just buy the box and keep it in the basement until then? I mean, its not like they are storing them in a special place at the store.

I realize that they won't bloom until next year, but I think its worth the wait. I just don't know what to do since I've never planted bulbs before....yup, that's right, a bulb virgin! [Big Grin] [Embarrassed] [Big Grin]

-
 -

-
by obywan59 on March 24, 2005 09:23 AM
They say to store them in a cool, dark relatively dry place till you're ready for them, so your basement should be okay, if it's dark enough. In the refigerator would be excellent if you have spring bulbs, but it's too cold for summer bulbs like gladiolus or dahlias.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Jiffymouse on March 24, 2005 11:50 PM
i bought a box, let them sit on the sidewalk for like forever (months) and then put them out a few weeks ago. they were actually sprouting in the plastic bag. now, i have the most beautiful daffodils...
by hisgal2 on March 26, 2005 01:32 AM
The box has 120 gladiolus in it. I want to plant them around the new post box that I'm going to build this week. I might have time to plant them toward the end of the week or next weekend.

Will they come up this summer???....is there anyway that I can trick them into coming up this summer??

-
 -

-
by BFVISION on March 26, 2005 02:03 AM
[wayey] I don't imagine you need any tricks at all [nutz] . If the store is selling them now, and they are not last years [devil] then just plant ASAP and you will have beautiful flowers mid summer [thumb] .
Be prepared to stake as needed. Depending on your zone you may need to dig them up in the fall.
120 stalks will be awesome [muggs]

Good Luck
BFVISION

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by Lily789 on March 26, 2005 02:53 AM
Gladiolus! Right, I almost forgot about them! I dug them up last autumn and they've been stored in a plastic bag, in a dark garage. With so many plants to take care of, I still haven't planted them yet. But I discover them to grow very quickly, and bloom within a few weeks. Very easy to grow, and they multiply like crazy. I started with five, now I've 20 or more. Imagine 120...wow, you'll have lots of more glads in the future! [Wink]

~Lily
by hisgal2 on March 26, 2005 03:10 AM
Well, thats ok because I want to be able to plant them into my terraces when they get built. [Smile]

-
 -

-
by Bill on April 15, 2005 03:09 AM
quote:
I realize that they won't bloom until next year, but I think its worth the wait.
I planted 100 Gladiolas 2 weeks ago (50 pinks and 50 gold) I am going to plant another 50 (mixed colors) this weekend. It's certainly not too late to plant them and still see the blooms in a month!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bulb question| Next thread: Bulb Question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: