The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mum Questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Mum problem| Next thread: mums? »
Back to Thread index
by Karrie on June 26, 2006 02:38 PM
I got 2 mums at Lowes yesterday they have them for a dollar and 97 cents. My problem is this they are already blooming. If I pinch them back now will they bloom again this year? If not I am gonna go ahead and enjoy the current blooms and prepair them for next year.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by netwiz on June 26, 2006 02:59 PM
I have some mums starting to bloom already also. Can I enjoy the bloom before removing and still hope for another this fall?

Joanne
by johnCT on June 27, 2006 03:46 AM
It's normal for mums to bloom at this time. To get them to look like they do in the fall, plant sellers prune the plants until July. This is what I've done for the last couple years with good success. I top the plants until the 4th of July and then allow them to do their thing.

John - Zone 6
by tkhooper on June 27, 2006 03:58 AM
Yep that's what I'm doing. And I was so slow about it that I used the prunnings as cuttings and now I have about nine new plants to enjoy next year. And it's a good thing that the cuttings work so well because the seeds were a dead bust for me last year.

-
 -
by Karrie on June 27, 2006 04:36 AM
How did you do the cuttings.

I think I will go get more of them and cut them back right now and let them go so I have my fall color.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by tkhooper on June 27, 2006 06:14 AM
Many of my pruning were 4 inches long so I just cut the stem at an angle took the leaves off of the bottom inch or so dipped them in my rooting hormone and then stuck them in small pots filled with my compost and kept them very moist and in the shade until they showed new growth. I would say about 2/3 of them rooted. The heat was my main problem. I couldn't bring them in the house to the airconditioning because I don't have room lol. So some wilted and couldn't recover.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Mum problem| Next thread: mums? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: