The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Silly question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: silica gel.....?| Next thread: silly question but need to know... »
Back to Thread index
by Cassalo on April 17, 2006 12:54 PM
I feel a little silly asking this because it seems like it should be common gardening knowledge, but I just planted some gerbera daisies in a plastic trough with out drainage holes and I'm not sure if that is bad for them. I did put a good layer of rocks at the bottim so they aren't drowning in excess water, but is that enough? I'm mostly concerned about drilling holes in the bottom because I have to bring them inside during cold weather. Thank you in advance!

Cassy
by SpringFever on April 17, 2006 09:04 PM
Hi Cassy
I think you will be just fine as long as you don't over water. The rocks will help keep the roots from staying wet. I think you did just fine

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Longy on April 18, 2006 03:11 AM
If excess water can't escape, it will stagnate and go sour. It can also rot the rootsystem. So drainage holes are preferable. If it rains and they get a soaking, it will drown them. Are they out of the rain?
Can you get a tray for when you bring them inside? Or maybe just drill a hole at one end and place a container underneath for when you need to catch water.

-
The secret is the soil.
by AndreaB on August 13, 2006 05:09 AM
Hello all. I am new to gardening myself and I too have a gerbera question. I bought 2 beautiful bright gerberas at the beginning of the summer and they lasted about 2 weeks! They still have leaves but I was told to deadhead the blooms after they lost ALL colour and wilted very bad!They have not flowered since. The leaves are greyish green now and brittle. What if anything will bring my gerberas back to life??
by Longy on August 13, 2006 11:03 PM
What if anything will bring my gerberas back to life??
+++++++++++++
Are you watering them?

-
The secret is the soil.
by dodge on August 21, 2006 01:44 PM
Ha

Gerberas are tricky..........But gorgous.

Mine all died a quick death inside.

I would like to know too..
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by TulsaRose on August 21, 2006 11:40 PM
I have one lone Gerbera planted out that struggles through winter, puts on new foliage in the spring and later sends up one or two blooms. Then it just sits there the rest of the year. I know it needs to be transplanted to a bed with better soil so that's on my Fall list of Things To Do. [Wink]

Overwatering and planting too deeply are the two major things that make Gerberas fail. I found some good information at this website. Halfway down the page are growers tips that should help out all of us. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by dodge on August 22, 2006 03:39 AM
Tulsa

Thanks for lloking.........
OH just for the books .

The little hats are pincushions ......deco

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: silica gel.....?| Next thread: silly question but need to know... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: