The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

sago question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: sago palm- white spots| Next thread: Saguaro cactus growth »
Back to Thread index
by Jiffymouse on May 26, 2006 02:47 PM
does anyone know what the spike growing out of the top of my sago is?  - it hasn't done much but get taller. the curly things on the side of it look almost like fern fronds before they unfurl, but they don't ever open (it's been that way for about 2 months now)
by DowntoEarth on May 26, 2006 05:10 PM
Hi,

That's a brand new frond/leaf, mine did the same thing in the past only it seven of those VERY long stems growing like that all at once and it looked really weird!Another time it was three, many only grow one or two a year. I don't recall how long it took for the little leaves up the sides to grow out, but eventually they did.

Susan
by preciousgreenfingers on May 26, 2006 08:31 PM
Your sago seems to be in insufficient light. The spike thing is nothing but new leaves-because of the low light, they are stretching up to whatever light they can get.
by margaret e. pell on May 26, 2006 11:37 PM
I agree, it's a new leaf that wants a LOT more direct sun. You know about phasing it into the sun to prevent burn...

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by msgvb on May 27, 2006 01:42 AM
second what preciousgreen says -- I had the same thing happen to me last year.

I cut off two long and ridiculously bendy ones, and got three new better behaved ones starting within two weeks. they grow fast, too!

I had mine in an indirect medium light outside location that got a spot of morning sun, shade after about 10am, but that's because I couldn't get the light indoors.

msg ::novice houseplant taker-care-of-er::
underexposed.org
flickr.com - msgvb

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sago palm- white spots| Next thread: Saguaro cactus growth »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: