The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aloe question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Aloe Question| Next thread: aloe replanting »
Back to Thread index
by kirksgirl on November 10, 2005 07:16 AM
I bought a Aloe today at Walmart,when I took it out of the packaging at home some of the braches are really droopy and flopped over-they are quite large and heavy so I am wondering is this mormal, do they get top heavy? Should I take them off or stake them up or just leave them be? The plant looks good and healthy otherwise, maybe I am just a worry wart,any advice??
by Jiffymouse on November 10, 2005 08:17 AM
they can get top heavy, and if it seems healthy otherwise, i wouldn't worry about it.
by Bestofour on November 10, 2005 10:23 AM
Does it need a bigger pot? I have an aloe plant too. Anytime I feel like I'm getting a fever blister, which isn't often, I break off a piece, rub it on my lip and the tingling goes away.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by margaret e. pell on November 11, 2005 04:20 AM
Aloe are very hardy, hardy enough to survive Walmart, where the clerks almost certainly cared less about it than you do. The bottom leaves are usually about 45 degrees up from horizontal and probably got bent in for packaging if they now flop down. They will never 'un-flop', but don't worry about it. If you burn yourself, get stung by a wasp, ..., use gel from those leaves. This is what I'd do: I'd take it out of its pot, check the roots and the soil (roots should be firm, soil drain quickly and not be wet), pop it back in the same pot or one just slightly bigger with cactus soil, put it in a sunny window, and let it be for a couple of days. Then give it some water and let it be for a week or two. It'll be fine. It wants sun and not a lot of water, especially in winter. Mine, which will need splitting up and repotting in the spring, is the some-number-of-great grandchild of a plant given to my mother by my aunt in the early '70's. At this point it has outlived both of them and has its own children in the windows of many friends. This is a plant to share, in years to come, as it offsets freely. Good luck!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by kirksgirl on November 11, 2005 08:21 AM
The plant was pretty well rootbound in a little tiny container so I think it is healthy. I finally decided to take the fallen leaves off,I didn't like them all laying down like that it didn't look very pretty,I put all the gel into a container and will use it as hand lotion - I have very very dry hands and I found this to work extemely well in the past. So I don't feel bad that I ripped it's leaves off and I am sure they will in time be replaced. I can't believe how many Aloe questions there are here, I learned a lot. Maybe Aloe needs it's own thread. Thanks for all the advice everyone.
by gomerp618 on November 14, 2005 02:42 AM
I bought one of those aloes from Walmart myself a while back. I normally don't repot a plant the day I bring it home, but I had to with this one. I have had it for about 6 months now. I had to take off a couple leaves too, but as you can see it has done quite well.. And no.. I don't normally keep it on that counter, it's usually in a north window by my sliding glass door.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/gomerp618/Aloe.jpg

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by RachelTheBlackThumb on November 17, 2005 05:13 AM
How big are aloe plants typically? I had one and it was tiny with tiny leaves..it got all slimey and was prety much uprooted and i'm not sure why..was it not planted far enough into the pot? How far down into the pot should it be planted?
by margaret e. pell on November 17, 2005 08:44 AM
How big? Depends upon the aloe. Some are 3 inch single rosettes, some 35 foot trees with a single trunk, some clump into little bushes, some clump into really big masses, and the others do everything between and then some. Aloe vera has 2 forms. One is pretty big, a friend's (she grew it indoors and had it for over 10 years when I met it...uh, her) was about 3 feet tall with a 3 foot spread. The bottom leaves were very big. It didn't offset often and she took the offsets off. I don't know if it was max size as she moved with it several years ago. The other form is smaller, about 1 foot to 18 inches tall, and offsets wildly. No individual stem gets very big, but it'll fill any width tub you put it in. Quickly. That's the form I have. Sounds like yours had too much water and not enough sun. They want a lot of sun if they're going to last for years and years, and not a lot of water, especially in winter. Get another one. Keep trying.

-

by RachelTheBlackThumb on November 17, 2005 08:56 AM
Mine was given to me by a friend..I think maybe it might of been just an offset that she put in a pot for me cause it was tiny tiny. I know it didn't get enough light but I think maybe its roots didn't get the opportunity to develop as well. How long does it take for it to develop proper roots and how deep should it be planted in a pot?
by margaret e. pell on November 17, 2005 09:27 AM
Never over pot, the soil won't dry quickly enough for the small roots. Roots can take a long time to develop and the soil has to dry out between waterings or they rot. How deep? All the green is above the soil line, the roots below, and the narrow band of whitish is at the soil line. I use wooden chop sticks I take from the Chinese take out to prop them up until the roots get big enough to hold them. Never put the green under the dirt, it'll rot your plant.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Aloe Question| Next thread: aloe replanting »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: