The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

potato question?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Potato plants are greenish brown| Next thread: Potato Salad »
Back to Thread index
by DaisyM on February 01, 2006 04:58 AM
Hi, this time this question isn't about planting them. Every fall we drive out to the Farms and buy a sack or two of winter keeping potatos and onions. Last year was not a good planting season for the farmer, because their fields were flooded, so they couldn't get their crops planted on time.
This resulted in rotten onions with blk mold under the skins, and small potatos. The 100 pounds of winter keeper potatos I bought are now withering which is a shame, because I still have about 35 lbs left. I have pulled the eye runners off. This may be a stupid question, but is there anything else I can do to make a withered potato fuller again? (That is, besides replanting them, which won't be for another 3-4 months, taking our planting zone into consideration.
by weezie13 on February 01, 2006 05:14 AM
Heyyyy Daisy,

For an answer from me, I'd like to see the
"withered" potato...

We love to make home made french fries here..
*cut up and deep fried*
and to me honest with you, we buy potatoes
ahead of time, to keep and let them get "old"
I guess would be the term and soften a bit and wrinkle..
they make the sweetest, softest fries..
Not saying the firm, new one's don't.. we
just noticed they were better tasting, when they were an older potato....

but I would have to see the potato to say whether it's still edible...

But there is nothing that I know of, that
plumps them back up...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by DaisyM on February 01, 2006 05:37 AM
Hey Weezie, how are you? thanks, I made french fries from them before. Guess what we're having for supper this week? I also made potato soup, potatos pancakes, if anyone has any good potato recipes that make potatos disappear fast, post away.
Weezie the potato is still firm enough to peel, but not as smooth as with a new potato? When they get too withered, I throw them out or save them for planting at a later date.
Now, what are you going to have with your fries? LoL
by weezie13 on February 01, 2006 05:54 AM
I always have home made fries with Salmon Patty's..
Or Chicken Fingers or Chicken Wings in the deep fryer...with them...tastyyyyyyyy!!!

They way you discribed them is how they'd be..
you can still peel them.. but not smooth any more..

Did you know that when I throw an old potato out
or even just peel the eyes off, when I throw them in the compost bin, right around the beginning of summer, I have pototoes sprout in there from the warmth...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ChristinaC on February 01, 2006 06:07 AM
You could make some "make ahead meals" with them to freeze. Example, scalloped potatoes, shepherd's pie...both freeze well. And make ahead meals certainly come in handy during busy times!

-
 -
by DaisyM on February 01, 2006 06:15 AM
Hmm.....yum..chicken fingers and fries sounds good to me!
I don't throw potato peels with the eye intact into the compost bin, because they do sprout, but from what I heard these sprouts don't produce potatos..they are just a nuisance. Potatos or peels both sprout, unless you freeze them first and then throw them in the compost.
by tkhooper on February 01, 2006 06:40 AM
Freezing also works with mashed potatoes that are frozen while they are still alittle dry. I also freeze hashbrowns, and par-boiled then freeze potatoes for use in cream of potato soup. I also like potatoes au gratin. And then there are the broasted potatoes with garlic and parsley. I'm not sure that I've ever run into a potatoe that I didn't like lol.

-
 -
by DaisyM on February 01, 2006 07:07 AM
Christina thanks, I didn't know you could freeze scalloped potato?. I thought they turned greyish when frozen. I'll give it a try? Is there any special way you would prepare them for the freezer? pre cooked, fully cooked etc... The make ahead meals are a good idea.

tkhooper, you have frozen potatos in all forms, do the potatos keep their flavour? Do you parboil, and then chop up potato's for hashbrowns or do you chop and freeze them raw? I like the idea of freezing the potatos for soup.
I have a food dehydrator, I wonder if I can dry my potatos a little further and make them into something useful, lol.
by ChristinaC on February 01, 2006 07:18 AM
I would definitely fully cook the scalloped potatoes. I always grate a ton of cheese through my homemade scalloped potatoes but I wouldn't if I was freezing them. I would add the cheese before re-heating them to serve. Other than that, I'd do it just the same.

-
 -
by DaisyM on February 02, 2006 01:25 PM
Thanks Christina. I could give it a try.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Potato plants are greenish brown| Next thread: Potato Salad »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: