The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

silly question but need to know...

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Silly question| Next thread: Silouette of an Eagle »
Back to Thread index
by ChristinaC on December 30, 2005 11:30 PM
Would I like blue cheese? I'm hosting a New Years party tomorrow and of course on top of all the other foods, there will be a cheese tray. I've tried a number of cheeses and love them all!! I'd like to try blue cheese but I suppose because of ignorance, I just assumed I wouldn't like it. Is it comparable to any other type of cheese just to give me an idea?

Christina

-
 -
by weezie13 on December 31, 2005 01:40 AM
We eat Blue Cheese dressing on things here
like Chicken Wings or Chicken Fingers..
*I like the fingers*

Is there a hard blue cheese cheese???
I've never heard of it, if there is????? [dunno]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Merme on December 31, 2005 09:31 PM
Christina ~ Blue cheese has a strong flavor. In texture, it is hard and crumbles well. When you plan on using it, you only need TINY amounts for the flavor to be revealed.

Often, crumbled blue cheese is found in salad dishes or dips.

I find it delicious but some people say that it takes practice to acquire a taste for it. I do remember disliking it as a child, though.

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by tkhooper on December 31, 2005 11:09 PM
It doesn't really have the right texture for a cheese tray in that it wouldn't cut into squares or other shapes well. If you are looking for unusual color for your tray I would suggest the spreadable cheeses and then use a mellon scoop to shape them into balls. Then you can have a portwine with it's orange color and wine streaks. Or, the fruit flavored cream cheese in pink (strawberry), blue (blueberry), and yellow (lemon).

Or here is a nice recipe for something cheesy different:

Mini Cheese Balls

Prep 10 min. Total: 2 hours 10 min (including refrigeration)

1 tub (8 oz) Philadelphia Chive & Onion Cream Cheese Spread
1 pkg (8 oz) Kraft Mozzarella shredded Cheese
4 slices Oscar Mayer Bacon, Cooked, Finely chopped
1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 cup toasted planters walnuts, ground

Mix cream cheese spread and mozzarella cheese until well blended. Stir in chopped bacon and seasoning.

Shape mixture into 54 balls. 1 level tsp each. Roll in walnuts. Cover with plastic wrap.

Refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Makes 18 servings, 3 each

Note: To switch up the flavor of these cheese balls, prepare as directed using 1 pkg (8 oz) Kraft Natural Three Cheese Crumbles in place of the Mozzarella.

-
 -
by tkhooper on December 31, 2005 11:10 PM
here's some infomation that was in a food magazine that I received.

Cheese Tray

* Choose three to five cheese types for an impressive display. Select different ages, flavors, textures and colors: For instance, try a soft goat cheese with a medium cheddar and sharp blue.

* Remove soft, semi-soft, firm and hard cheeses from fridge 30 minutes before serving.

* Avoid placing strong, pungent varieties next to mild ones.

* Cut firm cheese into bite-sized cubes, sticks, squares or triangles. Serve fresh and soft cheese as whole blocks or rounds.

Different types of cheese

HARD: Ripened and aged, these cheeses have a granular texture that makes them ideal for grating or shaving. Add Parmesan, Asiago or Pecorino to pastas, soups and casseroles for an intense flavor boost - a little goes a long way.

FIRM: Rindless, ripened and aged, frim cheeses often have a salty, nutty flavor and a smooth, cumbly texture, They slice easily and are great in salads or melted on top of casseroles or in a fondue. Experiment with aged cheddar, tangy swiss and creamy gouda.

SEMI-SOFT: Whether ripened or unripened, seasoned or unseasoned, semi-soft rindless cheeses such as smooth Monterey Jack or creamy havarti are great for adding to salads and sandwiches or melting on top of many a dish. Try a pungent Blue mixed into a sauce or dressing.

SOFT: Ranging in flavor from mild to medium, these ripened cheeses often have an edible rind and a smooth texture. Brie and Camembert are great on crackers, baked inside pastry or even added to an omelet. Feta, with its distinctive, salty taste adds zip to salads, pastas and chicken.

FRESH: Ideal for spreading on crackers or crusty bread, these rindless soft cheeses generally have a mild, milky taste because they're only drained and shaped (though sometimes they're flavored with herbs and other seasonings). If you already love cream cheese, try another fresh cheese like delicously rich and tangy goat cheese.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on December 31, 2005 11:55 PM
Thanks for the info Tammy! See, I was wondering because on saw on the Food Network when Ina made a cheese tray and she has blue cheese on the platter. She didn't cut it up, she just put a knife beside it for people to cut their own chunk...everyone was all over it. Perhaps, I'll go to the deli today and ask for just a little taste.
I'm well aware of the blue cheese dressings and dips but always wondered what it tastes like on its own. I'm a big cheese fan...as of right now, in my fridge, I have Jalapeno Havarti, fresh Parmasan, Smoked Gouda and a milder Cheddar. I think today, I'll pick up some Brie and maybe, just maybe some Blue Cheese. Thanks again Tammy!
Christina

-
 -
by melcon6 on January 01, 2006 12:11 AM
For Brie I like to saute some sliced almonds in butter, add some honey, then put that on top of brie wheel. Wrap the whole thing in puff pastry (comes in frozen sheets, thaw at room temp about an hour) brush with beaten egg and little bit of water and bake til browned. Serve with slices of french bread. [thumb]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by tkhooper on January 01, 2006 12:19 AM
I find the hard cheeses don't please me personally but you will probably do fine. Just remember small amounts of the hard cheeses. Your welcome I too love most cheeses.

I like brie cold but not cooked although most people do. Good luck with your cheese tray. I bet it is going to be a stunner.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on January 01, 2006 04:31 PM
Well, it's 3:30am..and the last of the "clan" just left...blue cheese was the first cheese empty off the platter...mmm...I just loved it...extremely sharp, very strong tasting...but oh so good, I toasted up some french bread brushed with olive oil and garlic to serve with the cheese and it was a real hit! The fresh Thai spring rolls were also a hit...was a great night...thanx again Tammy and Happy New Year!!!
Christina

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on January 01, 2006 11:14 PM
Christina...I missed this totally but really glad to hear you had a hit! I LOVE blue cheese any and every way there is. There has only been one dressing that was horrid and it is Blue Cheese Ranch...I thought I had hit a gold mine because the dipping sauce I make for hot wings is a mixture of the 2 dressings...but for some reason the prepared mix was yucky...I'll stick to mixing my own! Ina Garten is one of my favroites and you can rarely go wrong with any of here recipes....Happy New Year to ya!!!

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by 4Ruddy on January 01, 2006 11:16 PM
TK...that was a neat article on the cheese tray...and I have to agree with Mel on the Brie...it is wonderful like that...that is the only way I have ever had it!

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by hisgal2 on January 02, 2006 01:45 PM
Glad it worked out for you. I, personally, really hate Blue Cheese. I'm severely picky with cheese and am not into "harsh" flavors or very strong flavors. I guess I just don't have a very tolerable palatte.....I don't eat things like tomatoes, onions, radishes, certain lettuces....and a massive list of other things.

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on January 02, 2006 09:46 PM
Congrats!!! I'm so glad everything was a success for you. You'll have to keep me posted on all the different cheeses you try. I've been wracking my brain trying to remember the name of a smoky cheese I had once but I just can't remember it. It was nice in a cheese tray were you didn't eat a bunch of it just a taste because it was strong but I cannot remember.

-
 -
by Fernie on January 03, 2006 11:37 AM
How interesting, this whole cheese topic.

I like to put a wedge of brie (not cooked) next to slices of pears and use a butter knife to spread a dab of brie on a pear slice.....yummmmmmmmmmmmm.

oh and goat cheese and/or farmer's cheese are great on crackers or veggies.

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by ChristinaC on January 03, 2006 05:34 PM
Fernie, I too love brie cold with fruit!! What is farmer's cheese?
Christina

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Silly question| Next thread: Silouette of an Eagle »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: