The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pothos questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Pothos problem| Next thread: POTHOS REGENERATION »
Back to Thread index
by MaryReboakly on September 26, 2005 05:36 AM
howdy all!

2 questions about my pothos.

1. I took some cutting and was trying to root them in water. One of the leaves is losing all color and is very yellow. Why and what should I do? It's in the same jar of water as the other cuttings, which are fine.

2. On the lower edge of some of the leaf stems (those that are still potted up) the stem has split (normal, I thnk) and the edges of the split are brown and dry (not normal, I dont think). I can scratch or peel off this brown strip - almost like its 'dry skin'. Is it too dry, or is it from overwatering? I've only had it 2 weeks. Watered it once, but haven't since. I did notice that brown 'dry skin' appear after I watered it.

Thanks for your help! [Smile]

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on September 26, 2005 09:50 AM
to answer #1, just remove the yellow leaf. sometimes a leaf or two will die in the rooting process. to answer #2, most of the pothos i have seen that have any substance to them at all have those brown split spots. i wouldn't worry about it unless it gets bigger.
by MaryReboakly on September 26, 2005 01:28 PM
Thanks Jiffy -- that was easy! [Wink]

-
 -
by tkhooper on September 27, 2005 10:28 PM
Hey Mary have you already bought rooting hormone? If not I bought a jug that is enough to last me like 10 life times. I'd be happy to send you a bottle instead of you putting out money to buy some. Let me know and I'll go from there.
by MaryReboakly on September 28, 2005 11:55 AM
Hey TK thanks for the offer! I have some, but it's for rooting azaleas and, I guess shrubs and stuff. Of course I've used it on everything anyway [Embarrassed] I didnt use anything on the pothos though - just plunked some cuttings in water, but I'd love to try with hormone since results would probably be better. Thanks! [Smile]

OH PS - I read that rooting hormone kind of loses it's potency after a while - so it might not be any good after a year -- but then again this is the woman who will take 5 year old aspirin. When I was a kid medicine didn't expire - why should it now?! [Big Grin]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pothos problem| Next thread: POTHOS REGENERATION »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: