The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Flowering Jade plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by pinky on October 27, 2004 05:28 PM
Hi; can anyone tell me the name of the Jade plant
that gets flowers. I have had a Jade for years and it has never bloomed; I did not know there was such a species.
IN LOVE AND LIGHT

pinky
by Arctostaphylos on October 27, 2004 06:08 PM
The plant I know that is given the common name of Jade Plant is Crassula ovata. As to the nature of flowering, ALL plants flower (excepting ferns which reproduce by spores). Where people get confused is that we grow a lot of plants that will never receive the right environmental conditions to flower. However, grow stuff long enough and many times the right conditions will occure and wallla flowers. What triggers flowers varies plant to plant sometimes its hours of light, others hours of darkness, can be temp., age often plays a role as well, stress will make many plants flower, the list goes on. The other thing that sould be pointed out is that not all flowers are big and showy. Plants that do not depend on insects do not need bright floral parts to attract pollinators. Well thats likely way more than you wanted, lol. Good luck, happy gardening.
by puppy80 on October 31, 2004 02:52 AM
Hi pinky.. I too have a jade plant that I keep indoors when its cold, and outdoors during the late spring/summer... Im in zone 6.. I have never seen it flower. I agree what the ^above^ user said. Jade are meant to be in sorta hot conditions all year round, as far as I know... I think that's why it will not flower. Its a cool plant nonetheless..
by Jiffymouse on October 31, 2004 04:24 PM
i had to add a word here. most of the time, when my jades have bloomed, it has been when they are very well established (we're talking years here) in the same pot and same location.
by Zone5a on November 05, 2004 06:45 PM
I have a relatively large jade, about 30" high and 30" wide that is about 20 years old. It started blooming on a fairly regular basis about 10 years ago. I repot the plant probably about once every 3-4 years and put it outside in its pot during the summer. I wait till after the last frost to put it out and bring it into the house for the winter before the first frost in the fall. I'm careful to not put it directly into the sun when I first put it out in the spring, which helps to reduce the amount of leaf burn.

My jade blooms during the fall after I bring it into the house and I find that the longer I have it out in the bright sunlight during the summer the more it blooms. In the summer I fertilize it along with my annuals but don't give it much water or any fertilizer once I bring it into the house. I also prune it fairly regularly, about once a year at the beginning of the summer, snipping off any growth that's not growing where I want it.

Best of luck with your jade.
by pinky on November 06, 2004 09:04 PM
wow! I want to thank you folk for your help; I
really thought the flowering Jade must be a
different one than mine.
IN LOVE AND LIGHT

pinky
by Carly on November 07, 2004 07:40 AM
Well, I learned something there - I never knew there was a Jade Plant that flowered. I always assumed they were just greenies.

Mighty nice greenies, I might add - I've always admired them. I'm thinking of getting one for my window.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: