The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Broken jade plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Broken Glass Candy plus others| Next thread: Broken Jade Tree »
Back to Thread index
by gomerp618 on September 21, 2005 09:02 PM
I recently got a jade plant in with a shipment of other plants I got on an auction site. They were all shipped bare root, very carefully wrapped in moist paper towel and then wrapped in plastic, surrounded by shredded paper and sent Priority mail. I potted the jade plant and have pretty much left it alone until I decided to check on it this morning. When I picked the little pot up I didn't notice that one of the leaves was kind of resting on the shelf of the bakers rack I use for a plant stand and it must have been just enough resistance and the top of the plant snapped right off. My question is can I put the top back in the dirt, maybe with some rooting hormone, and expect another plant? Also, will the part still in the soil be okay? I have kept it in a north window, is this okay, or does it prefer other light? Sorry for so many questions at once, but most of the plants I buy come with care sheets, these did not.. also my mom borrowed all of my plant books and hasn't returned them yet, besides those books aren't going to give me hazard instructions like people here who might have experienced broken plants before!

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by tkhooper on September 21, 2005 09:48 PM
Hey gomer it sounds like you pretty much know what to do. I've had really good luck just sticking pieces of my jade plant back into the soil and having them root. Re: sunlight. The jade will tell you it's happy by producing a slightly brown edge to its leaves when it is in optimum conditions. I have mine in an east facing window and it's pretty much a happy camper. But I don't suggest moving a jade around a lot because they will drop leaves while they adjust to new conditions.
by Jiffymouse on September 21, 2005 10:11 PM
tk's right, you know what to do, just go for it!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Broken Glass Candy plus others| Next thread: Broken Jade Tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: