The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Garden Path

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: garden ornaments| Next thread: Garden Phlox ...disease? »
Back to Thread index
by patches1414 on May 21, 2006 11:17 PM
One of my current projects is making garden path that leads back to my garden shed. I tilled it up and leveled the ground last fall so could let it settle over the winter. I put landscaping fabric on the path and covered it with a layer of loose dirt. I'm almost finished putting in the rest of the edging and I still haven't decided whether I want to use mulch or rocks on the pathway!

The right side of the path was finally filled in wih plants last year and I want to get the left side done this year. It is in deep shade and I'm planning on planting Hostas, Ferns, Lily of the Valley and perhaps some other deep shade plants. It's been a lot of work, but I think it will be worth it when it done.

-

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by netty on May 22, 2006 12:13 AM
Looks great! [thumb] I'd go with mulch on the pathway.

-
 -
by patches1414 on May 22, 2006 12:21 AM
Thanks Netty! Actually, that was the way I was leaning too because my lawn mower is in the shed and I thought perhaps the rocks would make it more difficult to get out. I also felt the mulch would be more fitting with the rustic setting. Of course, the only drawback with mulch is that you have to keep replacing it. [Frown]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Wrennie on May 22, 2006 01:01 AM
With the brick edging why not use small red brick chips. If you dont make it too deep the mower wheels wont sink. The inside of my garage is gravel Its well packed down and we dont have any trouble with the mower. Also like you said the mulch willrot or need replacing. If you get any weeds on a gravel or brick chip path a handful or rock salt will kill them back.(Just dont use too much so it doesnt seep into the flowers.)

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Longy on May 22, 2006 08:24 AM
Sawdust would look pretty good too and it's great to walk on. Soft but firm. Very cheap and will last for ages.

-
The secret is the soil.
by patches1414 on May 22, 2006 09:23 AM
Thanks Wrennie! [kissies] The small red brick chips sound like they would compliment the edging, but I've never seen them around here. The only thing that would resemble that woud be the lava rocks and I believe they would be larger than I would like. [Frown]

Thanks, Longy, another great idea, [thumb] but I don't have any access to sawdust. Many years ago I could have had all I wanted but that source is no longer available. [tears]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: garden ornaments| Next thread: Garden Phlox ...disease? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: