The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Gardenia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: gardenia| Next thread: Gardenia »
Back to Thread index
by wauhilahgirl on April 28, 2004 08:47 AM
I have a potted gardenia which is growing a spiderweb like mold on the soil. I removed it once but it is back. What is it and how do I get rid of it for good
by Chrissy on April 28, 2004 12:43 PM
Hi [wayey] . This is a great web site, lots of wonderful & friendly people & tons of great information to help you raise healthy plants. It sounds like you might have spider mites. Check this link: Detecting Pests On Plants. I usually use Safers Soap to take care of spider mites as well as other pests.

-
 -
z5b
by obywan59 on April 28, 2004 04:28 PM
That's what I thought at first too Chrissy, but I've never known of webs across the soil. Usually they're up in the foliage. Safer's Soap won't hurt though.

OH,OH,OH, just looked up gardenia in my Rodale's SOG houseplant book. Spider mites were the first in the list for common problems. They say to raise the humidity (gardenias like--spider mites don't) and spray with superior oil.

OH,OH,OH, again. Just looked on the back of my Safer's Soap bottle. DO NOT use on gardenias.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by weezie13 on April 28, 2004 04:37 PM
[wayey] HI Wauhilahgirl, [wayey]
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We're glad you found us!!!
I just wanted to let you know I was going to move your question into HOUSEPLANTS as we have alot of houseplant growers that come thru there also!!!

Chrissy and Terry may very well have solved it for you, I"m not sure, as I'm not too much into house plants, but you may get one or two more responses in that section....

Come back to this one, and tell the gardeners a bit more about you and your garden or plants or just a bout you in this section, we are always glad to have new gardeners to join our
"Cyber Community" here, we have a very friendly group here and we really enjoy our gardening time and talk!!!

Take a peak around at all the new sections we've added, recipes, crafts, hobbies, add a post or add a complete new one if you don't see yours....

Lot's of good stuff going on here!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Will Creed on April 29, 2004 04:38 AM
Although the mold or fungus on the soil may look webby, it is a fungus and not spider mites, which survive only on leaf tissue.

The mold comes from spores present in the soil. Keeping the surface of the soil constantly damp encourages the development of the mold.

Using sterilized soil is the best preventative. Scrape off the mold and the soil in the immediate vicinity. Allow the surface of the soil to dry out in between waterings. Increase the light and the air circulation, if possible. It may be necessary to repeat the scraping off a number of times before you ger rid of all the spores. If all else fails, apply a fungicide as a soil drench.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: gardenia| Next thread: Gardenia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: