The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Gardenias

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: gardenia woes| Next thread: Gardenias »
Back to Thread index
by tls1959 on May 07, 2004 02:28 AM
I have gardenias that are black and brown around the edges- what does this mean?
by Jiffymouse on May 07, 2004 07:52 PM
[wayey] hi tls [wayey] welcome to the garden helper. glad you found and joined us [thumb]

we need more info on your gardenias to give you a good answer.

is it the leaves or the petals?
where are they planted full sun? part sun? shade? etc?
how do you water them?
how "crowded" are they? (what's around them)
how long have they been there?

someone will have answers when we get the info!
by tls1959 on May 07, 2004 09:59 PM
The Gardenia is in a partly shady yard.The black and brown is around the edges of the leaves.
by tls1959 on May 07, 2004 10:02 PM
I only have 1 gardenia. Its not in a crowded space.Its been there for about 5 years.Its only about 2 ft. tall.It hasn't hardly bloomed since I have had it.I do not water it hardly at all.
by Jiffymouse on May 09, 2004 12:01 AM
ok, one of your problems is the fact that you are a little north of the gardenia's normal range. another is the age of your plant. sometimes, they take a while to bloom. and the spots can be a couple of different things. my bet is that your plant should be in more sun, and should be fed every couple of months with fish emulsion, acid fertilizer, or bone meal. I would use half strength until you see the plant picking up, or do what i do and use time release granules.

your plant will need water in dry spells, you should water around the base of the plant. and you will need to mulch. particularly in winter. if you can provide some wind protections during cold spells, that is even better.

i hope this helps, keep us posted, and look for more info from others.
by Tanikova on May 09, 2004 12:06 AM
I didn't think tennessee was to far north for gardenias??

Ann
by Jiffymouse on May 09, 2004 12:25 AM
it really depends on the cultivar and the location in tennesee. but generally they are zone 8-9 plants.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: gardenia woes| Next thread: Gardenias »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: