The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Oregano Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: oregano| Next thread: Organic bindweed control??? »
Back to Thread index
by ninniwinky on May 27, 2005 06:04 PM
I apologize if this post comes up twice, it says that it didn't go through so I am doing it again:

This may sound like a rediculous question, but here goes:

How do I know when I can start eating or drying my oregano plant? and also, is the whole plant edible?!!??! [dunno]

Thanks for your patience everyone!!!!!!!

ninni
by phoenix on May 27, 2005 06:31 PM
[wayey] ninniwinky,
How "old" is your plant? i believe you can use the whole plant.leaves & stems can be used in sauces and stews and soups.

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Elfinone on June 02, 2005 11:59 PM
I snip mine for drying just when the flower buds are getting ready to pop. I watch and in the morning before the warm gets to it, I snip off and start to dry.
I don't know about the whole thing as I just use the leaves.
[Wink]
by 4Ruddy on June 03, 2005 01:07 AM
Ninniwinky...The more you pinch your plant back the bushier it will get and the prettier it will be. I don't let mine bloom...I keep it pinched back most of the time. You can dry the leaves on the stems and then when it is good & dry remove the leaves. Sometimes after the clippings have dried I put leaves, stem & all in the food processor and make a "powder". If you need some oregano in a recipe..you can just pinch some off and use it fresh from the plant and throw it in....but remember...the dried herbs are stronger so you don't need to use as much.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by ninniwinky on June 05, 2005 05:48 PM
My plant is quite young, It is two months old, started from seed. It is very little right now, no signs of Flowers for a while yet, so I think anyway. I am such a beginner that when I started my oregano seeds, I put them too deep and I put half the package in the pot, a little 6" pot. a few weeks went by and they STILL were not growing!! My fiance told me I probably buried them to deep. So i took a spoon and started flipping over the soil in the pot and sure enough, there were 10 - 20 little plants not able to make it up through, So i turned the dirt over two or three times and the next day I had about 20 little plants starting. Now they are getting tall and gangly, I have no idea if Oregano is suppose to look like that. Quite honestly I don't even know how to pinch those plants back....The Tallest little sprig is about 4" tall I think it is ready to droop over, is it ok for oregano to do that?

Thanks!!!!

ninni

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: oregano| Next thread: Organic bindweed control??? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: