The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ficus Questions!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: ficus~potting| Next thread: Ficus Root Worries »
Back to Thread index
by Nako on June 28, 2004 05:17 AM
HowD! I've got a few questions about my bug infested ficus ^.^ Well its not so bug infested anymore, but when i got it, WOAH, it had everything in it o.O even a cicada!!

Anywho! [flower]
1. I saw a sign at my greenhouse that called my ficus a "Weeping Fig" And the word "Fig" came to mind. Will it produce figs? I love fresh figs, and if i could get fresh figs from my ficus, that'd be awesome ^.^ I'm taking a quick guess and saying it won't produce fruit though lol.

2. Will it flower? Lotsa trees flower. I donno if this one will though.

3. How do you propegate a ficus? Do they produce seed pods or something? Orrrrrrr do they produce FIGS that have seeds in them? [grin]

4. Pruning this thing: Can i cut off the branches right at the place where they sprout from another branch? They did a horrible job cutting it for shipping >.<

5. Is the top really bushy now, cuz i keep pinching off the growth that shows up on the trunk? I saw a "Poodle Ficus" and thought it was really UGLY and don't wana see that in my house, so i pinched them off [dunno]

6. I'm transporting it to college, and before i left college for summer vacation, i repotted it into a bigger pot. The pot just bearly fits in my car, but i have to squeez it in. Can i pull the tree out of the pot, and bag the roots in a burlap sack, or rice sack?

7. Does it need to go dormant? If so, what are the requirements for it during that period?

8. Its next to a window. Should i rotate it every once in a while?

9. Will the new growth get thicker? Its all stringy right now, and hangin down, and looking like its all going to break off, but its holding up quite well.

10. Is it safe for my bird to land in it? She landed in it the other day, but I shooed her away before she could chew on anything.

11. How old do you think it is? Its almost my height (4'11"), and the main trunk is a lil more than an inch thick.

12. [kitty] meow?

If any of you could answer my questions, that'd be greatly appreciated! [wayey]

Thank you!

~Phoebs

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by sachis2112 on June 30, 2004 12:16 AM
I don't own a ficus but I've been picking up on watching my girlfriend with hers and just seeing them around in general...

1. I've never seen one in flower as a house plant (not a lot of experience here). I don't know about outside.

2. I don't know if it will produce edible figs... However, I'm pretty sure I've seen some on the street near work that are HUGE which produce small berries much like I've seen my palm tree do. They are sooo messy!

3. Rooting cuttings. I think the general rule is semi-hard wood cuttings. I recommend putting them in the bathroom using soil and root toner. I imagine you could airlayer too but I think cuttings are just generally easier.

4. I have been told that these take severe prunings and root prunings very well. My girfriend whacked the crap out of hers and it budded back like crazy. Of course, right after you whack it back, it will freak out and drop a bunch of leaves sometimes.

5. I dunno. I think ficus just generally grow like crazy upward and when you trim back, it'll bud back... maybe... Will???

6. Depends on how long the trip and how hot, I would think...

7. I don't think anything special needs to be done.

8. Probably a good idea.

9. It should as it ages. This is growing time for ficus.

10. I don't think birdie landing on it is bad. But I think that ficus can be poisonous to animals if they chew on it. Although, I will say that my friend's cat is always chewing on stuff and the ficus has yet to make her sick.

11. Hm... maybe some can answer this one for you. I've never raised one from a baby.

12. Definately meow. [kitty] ALWAYS meow.

-
by Jiffymouse on June 30, 2004 03:09 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nako:
Anywho! [flower]
1. I saw a sign at my greenhouse that called my ficus a "Weeping Fig" And the word "Fig" came to mind. Will it produce figs? ....
no, it won't make figs, wrong species...
quote:
2. Will it flower? Lotsa trees flower. I donno if this one will though.
i've never seen one flower
quote:
3. How do you propegate a ficus? Do they produce seed pods or something? ... [grin]
i understand that you can take tip cuttings, but have never done it.
quote:
4. Pruning this thing: Can i cut off the branches right at the place where they sprout from another branch? They did a horrible job cutting it for shipping >.<
i have no clue about pruning them, but have one i am going to be learning about
quote:
5. Is the top really bushy now, cuz i keep pinching off the growth that shows up on the trunk? I saw a "Poodle Ficus" and thought it was really UGLY and don't wana see that in my house, so i pinched them off [dunno]
yes, pinching makes bushier
quote:
6. I'm transporting it to college, and before i left college for summer vacation, i repotted it into a bigger pot. The pot just bearly fits in my car, but i have to squeez it in. Can i pull the tree out of the pot, and bag the roots in a burlap sack, or rice sack?
a burlap sack will be fine...
quote:
7. Does it need to go dormant? If so, what are the requirements for it during that period?
they do have a resting period, but mostly they are tropicals and grow at least a little year 'round
quote:
8. Its next to a window. Should i rotate it every once in a while?
you should rotate it a quarter turn once a week
quote:
9. Will the new growth get thicker? Its all stringy right now, and hangin down, and looking like its all going to break off, but its holding up quite well.
the stringy hanging part is why it is called "weeping"
quote:
10. Is it safe for my bird to land in it? She landed in it the other day, but I shooed her away before she could chew on anything.
i don't think it is on the list of poisonous plants, but i would watch her when she does land it in
quote:
11. How old do you think it is? Its almost my height (4'11"), and the main trunk is a lil more than an inch thick.
no clue, but i would bet at least several years...
quote:
12. [kitty] meow?
don't know about the cats, haven't brought my ficus in the house yet... it is just too happy outside!
quote:

If any of you could answer my questions, that'd be greatly appreciated! [wayey]

Thank you!

~Phoebs

absolutely my pleasure
by Nako on June 30, 2004 03:58 AM
wow, cool! Thanks a lot guys! *thinks* i donno what air layering is >.<

But anyway, when they cut it for shipping, the top was all smalllllllllllllllll and bearly had any leaves on it. Now its got lotsa leaves and new stems [Smile] When they trimmed it for shipping, a lotta stuff was left chopped off, and it looks really ugly >.< There's some branches on it right now that have zero growth on them, and have turned a kinda whiteish, and others have turned blackish. Should i get rid of those parts, or will they decide to spring back to life again?

When i got it, there were also a buncha weird lookin little dead viny things all over the place. What's that all about? I'm guessing just a buncha dead stuff that moved around.

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by petunialover on June 30, 2004 10:20 PM
quote:
a different forum, different day I learned that yes, the Ficus is dangerous for your bird, the funny thing is I used to park my Cockateil there while cleaning his aviary, no harm no foul. However: you mentioned bugs, did you spray your plant with Any insectacide? if so do not allow your bird to perch there, they clean their feet with their tongues.

PL
In my experience the 'weeping figs" need lots of sun, and NO fertilizer. Water when dry....if they are dropping leaves really bad too much water can be the problem, or not enough sun.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the
idea that life is serious.
-- Brendan Gill
by Nako on July 01, 2004 09:56 PM
Nnnnnnnnope, no pestacides used. I don't like to use those, because all my plants are indoors, except for my Iris. What i used to get rid of all the stuff, is water, which brought all the bugz to the surface, where i could scoop away the top soil. Then to get rid of the fungus gnats, i put sand over the topsoil of all my plants. The gnats are still here, and its been a few weeks. They've definately gone down in numbers now though. I found out that they're living in the bottom of the pots, where the soil is accessable through the drainage holes. So i'm getting dishes for all the plants, and putting sand in all the dishes. Should work ^.^

Thank you all very much for the information though [Smile] I took a hacksaw to all the dead stuff earlier today, and the tree looks MUCH better.

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by sachis2112 on July 12, 2004 05:50 AM
Hiya, Phoebs! I'm gonna find some infor on airlayering for you and send it off to you by PM cause I mentioned it with the rubber plant thingy too. But I have a friend that successfully rooted ficus in her bathroom. Dropped all its leaves but came right back fine.

-
by calzgal on July 28, 2004 02:11 AM
I just did a MAJOR trunk chop and double airlayer on a larger old ficus (to create 3 bonsai specimens)

Here's the walk through of the event.

http://bonsaiweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5864

Ficus are awesome trees. I LOVE working with them.
by Will Creed on July 28, 2004 03:06 AM
I have written an article on Ficus tree care that I will e-mail to anyone who e-mails a request to me at my address below.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: ficus~potting| Next thread: Ficus Root Worries »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: