The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Spider plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Spider Plant Watering Question| Next thread: spider plants »
Back to Thread index
by newlife on June 09, 2005 09:59 PM
I have a baby spider plant,step by step what do I do with it? It has already been cut off of the mother. someone told me to put it in water, someone else said it can root in soil, what is the best way?
by Tessa on June 09, 2005 10:08 PM
Hi newlife,

I prefer to put them in water, if I can. I use a little glass decorative rooter similar to this one

http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/sell.asp?ProdGroupID=19539&DeptPGID=19689&lstCategory=0&RecGroupNum=9

It keeps it off the counter and near my other plants. There are some plants that do better in soil, with rooting hormone, but this is one that will do great in water. Hope this helps.

Tessa [flower]
by Dixie Angel on June 09, 2005 10:27 PM
I just pot mine up in soil and let it grow. Whichever is easiest for you is the way you should do it.

By the way, welcome to the Garden Helper. This is a great place to get information on anything and everything! [Wink]

Dianna

-
 -
by pcgrav on June 09, 2005 10:39 PM
Hi Newlife,
Welcome to the site!! [wayey]
Now-- about your plant-- if you will notice on the "bottom" of the leaves there should be little "nodes" and if it was left on the mother long enough they probably resemble roots. That's exactly what they are. The difference between putting them in water and putting them directly into soil is the type of root system they will develope. The ones in water will need to adapt their roots to soil when you do pot it so it might be a little bit of a shock to the plant. But they usually tend to do well once they get started. I have done it both ways and in my experience the ones I start in water seem to grow larger sooner that the ones I have put directly into the soil. But like Dianna said which ever works best for you-- its a matter of preference. One final note-- mine tends to do better slightly rootbound.

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Spider Plant Watering Question| Next thread: spider plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: