The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: New plants| Next thread: New plants and soil »
Back to Thread index
by Triss on August 21, 2005 08:28 AM
I found these beauties in my grocery store in 2 inch dried out plastic containers for $1 each. I got the planters at the dollar store for $2 each. I think they look great together but like with the plant to the right of them, I have no idea what they are.

-

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Will Creed on August 21, 2005 10:23 AM
Hi Triss,

Congratulations on your new acquisitions. The planters are very pretty!

The one on the right is a Dieffenbachia. The one in the middle is a Dracaena marginata 'Tricolor.' And the one on the left appears to be a Dracaena 'Janet Craig.'

With all three, be sure to let the top quarter of the soil dry out in between waterings.
by Triss on August 21, 2005 10:29 AM
Awesome! Thanks so much Will. And don't worry, they always dry at the top before I water, though not usually by intent. Even though they sit right here at my computer, I forget the poor babies.

Will the two Dracaena's outgrow their pots or can I keep them there forever and they will only get so big?

And one other question. Can the Dieffenbachia be split into more than one pot?

Thanks so much.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Will Creed on August 21, 2005 09:07 PM
Hi Triss,

If you want to keep your new plants in those pots indefinitely, you can. Eventually they will become potbound, but that is OK. It simply means you will have to water them more frequently and it will keep the plant from becoming too large.

Can you post a photo that shows all of the Dieffenbachia and tell me what your goal is in dividing it?

Will

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New plants| Next thread: New plants and soil »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: