The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peach tree question.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Peach Tree Help| Next thread: Peach tree question »
Back to Thread index
by loz on July 03, 2005 03:49 AM
Okay, so the other day my great dad brought me over a peach tree he's been getting to grow for me--he has a fantastic one in his yard......it's not very big at all, about 8 inches max and it's in a big pot....

Now I've done a lot of research on peach trees and I know a lot about them but I just don't know if I should go ahead and try to plant it in the yard being that small, or if it's best to leave it in the pot.........I know it probably should have a pretty good root system before I transplant it....so how tall do you usally let them get before you plant them out???? [dunno]

I don't know as much about the rules of planting trees as I do flowers.....I only have 2 trees in my yard actually.....2 beautiful crimson king maples.....So I'm going to put the peach tree between them since the leaf colors will be about the same........ [thumb]
by RugbyHukr on July 03, 2005 07:24 AM
By what I have seen in nurseries, most "young" peach & other fruit trees are 4'-5' high & 1" or bigger in diameter.

By no means am I saying that yours won't take. That just seems to be the size that nurseries commonly consider to be the order of probable survival.

P.S. When you do plant, avoid a southern exposure. The extra heat from the south side will cause fruit trees to bud earlier than other exposures. If this happens, a late frost could destroy your crop.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by loz on July 03, 2005 08:12 AM
Thanks for the help Rugby......Since I don't own tons of acres I don't know a lot about trees, but trust me if I had the room I'd be a tree expert.....LOL

My dads been nursing this peach tree from back when it was just a really teeny tiny thing.
by floweraddict on July 03, 2005 04:55 PM
Hi Laura! I don't know much about fruit trees but i have several tiny lilac bushes that are very small and i was debating about whether to wait till they were much bigger before setting them out or not, too. I might wait till they are bigger. I brought them back from Michigan.

I didn't know they grew peach trees in Maryland!

Hope u are having a good 4th of July weekend!
We visited a botanical garden yesterday; also did some swimming, and a little fishing!

Bob
 -
by loz on July 03, 2005 10:47 PM
Hi there Bob....glad to see you stopping in here every once in a while...Yep, we have peach trees here...LOL I hope this little tree makes it....It'll look so nice in the yard!

Lilac bushes are pretty! My neighbor has a huge one in her yard....The botanical garden was probably really nice.....and swimming and fishing!

Laura

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Peach Tree Help| Next thread: Peach tree question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: