The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peach Tree Questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Peach tree question| Next thread: Peach tree vandalism (sad) »
Back to Thread index
by Peachy on May 03, 2006 12:22 AM
Hello all,
My husband and I planted a peach tree last year, and it seems to be doing very well. We already have tiny little peaches on it, and we saved it from the frost we had, so we are hoping to get fruit this year. We have a few issues with it. During the winter someone chewed on some of the bark, pretty sure it was my neighbor. [Wink] not too much, but enough to remove about 1/2" of it, and there are suckers growing out of the ground near the base of the tree. What should I do about the bark and the suckers? This is our first fruit tree, so I apologize for the novice questions. [Smile]
Thanks!
Kathleen

If dogs don't go to heaven I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
by Wrennie on May 04, 2006 01:24 AM
Did the chewed part seem to scab/heal over? If it did I'd leave it alone.
If not there are tree dressings you can get at garden centers. Looks almost like burlap tape. Put a 'band aids' on it.

Not sure about the suckers.... I would think just snip them out so they dont take energy away from the main tree. [dunno]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by papito on May 04, 2006 03:53 AM
quote:
During the winter someone chewed on some of the bark, pretty sure it was my neighbor. [Wink] not too much, but enough to remove about 1/2" of it, and there are suckers growing out of the ground near the base of the tree. What should I do about the bark and the suckers? This is our first fruit tree,
You can apply fungicide on the exposed/injured trunk to prevent fungal infection. However, if it seem to scab/heal as Wrennie said, just leave it alone.

I would remove the suckers, not by cutting but by pulling. Hold the sucker at the base, bend almost flat to the ground and pull out.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Peachy on May 06, 2006 08:37 AM
Thanks for the help! The tree did not seem to scab over. I will stop by the garden center to look for the wrap. It doesn't look like it was chewed too deeply. I'm going to pull the suckers off today. thanks again! [Smile]

If dogs don't go to heaven I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Peach tree question| Next thread: Peach tree vandalism (sad) »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: