The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peach Tree Help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: peach tree curl fungus| Next thread: Peach tree question. »
Back to Thread index
by Corgi17 on July 16, 2005 03:06 AM
A couple weeks ago while we were on vacation, someone missed our driveway and ran completely over our peach tree. I was too upset to clean up the mess so I just left it lying there. It was broken off at ground level, except for a very small part. I went out today to look it over again and the leaves aren't even drying up so it must still be getting water from the roots. The tree was about 2 inches in diameter and about 12 feet high, it also had approx. 30 peaches on it. Is there anyway this tree can be saved? I don't suppose if you made a clean cut above the break and stuck it in the ground, it would grow roots again? Or maybe we could figure out a way to brace it back up? I'm open to any suggestions. If it can't be saved, fine, just thought I could try something since it's trying so hard to live.

@>>>>>
 -
 -
Kipper's Corgi Hysteria
by LMT on July 16, 2005 07:41 AM
Often times fruit trees a homeowner has are dwarfs (or semi-dwarfs). This means the roots are from a different tree/shrub and the full sized fruit tree was grafted on so even if you could root a 2 inch diameter tree it's not likely what you had growing, size wise.

Try a splint? Support it by tying it to a triangle of stakes and see if it works. If it is a dwarf, it's the only way to try and save the tree.

(A dwarf peach should mature at 12 to 16 feet tall, about half the size of the peach tree.)

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: peach tree curl fungus| Next thread: Peach tree question. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: