The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

oriental lillies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: organish foam on mulch| Next thread: Oriental Lily Care »
Back to Thread index
by cherbear on July 15, 2004 03:36 AM
I know NOTHING about these things. My husband bought them for me and I planted them over the Fourth of July weekend. They have all bloomed and now the leaves are turning yellow and dying from the ground up. Is this normal? I don't know what to do with them. I've been deadheading them but leaving the very center part (not sure of the technical term for that part of the flower????). It doesn't seem to want to come off, so I've been leaving it on there. Am I doing something wrong? I have noticed that it appears to have black spots on the leaves. I'm going to get some insecticide/fungus stuff to spray on them, but I'm not sure of what else to do. I have fertilized them this past weekend with miracle grow.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you! [Eek!]
by weezie13 on July 15, 2004 04:25 PM
Cherbear,
(***I need to borrow your husband for a bit [Big Grin] [Wink] Just kidding)

Anyhow,
quote:
They have all bloomed and now the leaves are turning yellow and dying from the ground up. Is this normal?
Yes, that is quite normal...
The plant grows up and flowers......
The way the plant "FEEDS IT'S SELF" is when the plant is done flowering...the plant slowly dies back, going yellow and eventually turning tan and brown and dry....
As this process is happening, the plant is using up the "green" from the plant to put back in for food storage for the bulb for next years plant.
(*Don't ask the technical terms, I'm not sure.)
The same for like tulips or your spring blooming bulbs...)

Leave the plants alone...let them yellow and brown up.... some don't like the browning going on in the garden that is so full of green and colors... my own garden, I just snip the brown parts off, when it's brown and dry... *I know the plant has used that part and is done with it* Take the snippers and snip that part....
leaving the other part to still be used up.

Does that make sense to you???

quote:
I have noticed that it appears to have black spots on the leaves.
That could be a number of things, without seeing the actual plant and black spot????
Could be because it's been so wet lately!!!!
How is the place where the plant is growing?
The soil, (*type*) and clay based, or too much moisture retentantive material around it (*ie; mulch*)

quote:
I'm going to get some insecticide/fungus stuff to spray on them, but I'm not sure of what else to do.
I am not too sure about that, maybe someone can help you with that one...

quote:
I have fertilized them this past weekend with miracle grow.

I personally would stay away from a fertilizer with a big first number,.... rather go for a large middle number, I think helps the plant save food...IMHO.

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by cherbear on July 16, 2004 02:39 AM
Weezie,
Thank you so much for all your help. I don't know if I'm going to like having little bare sticks just standing there. My husband made a brand new bed in our front yard for those things! Them, a hibiscus, dwarf phlox and celosia are the only things in it. He already doesn't like the fact that they only bloom once. I have to say though, the fragrance they put off is well worth it to me. I could smell them pulling in the driveway with my windows down and the bed they're in is on the other side of the yard. But I don't know that I will like have bare stems out there.
Thank you so much for your help!
Happy growing! [wayey]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: organish foam on mulch| Next thread: Oriental Lily Care »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: