The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

organish foam on mulch

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Organic supplies| Next thread: oriental lillies »
Back to Thread index
by susanmwood on July 09, 2006 07:30 AM
I am not much of a gardener myself, but I am watering plants for someone this summer while they are in Europe. Twice I have found an orangish foam-like substance (though it's dry) on the mulch in one area of the yard. It is only in about a 1 foot square area (not all over). Is this a fungus? Should I do anything about it? Thanks!
by Longy on July 09, 2006 09:17 AM
It is a fungus and it's not a problem. You can remove it if you want but it's just part of the breaking down process of the mulch. I wouldn't worry about it.

-
The secret is the soil.
by afgreyparrot on July 09, 2006 11:54 AM
Glad to see this...
My daughter has that on her mulch, and wanted me to find out what it was.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, susanmwood..... [wavey]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by The Plant Doc on July 17, 2006 12:19 PM
Your problem is called "slime mold" it is a pretty interesting species of fungi. It is actually a colony of individual microscopic entities, and they will move the entire colony to seek out new food sources. Kinda like the Blob. [Big Grin]
It is very rare that slime molds to any damage, and they are just part of natures way of breaking down dead plant material.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Squirrel on July 18, 2006 10:58 AM
Glad I came across this thread. A few years back, we were taking care of our son's yard and we came across what I now know was slime mold on the mulch around his newly planted pine trees. The one tree got brown on the one side. Do you think the mold had anything to do with it getting brown? Been wondering for years. [dunno] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by merrillzone5 on August 30, 2006 02:18 PM
I'm glad i came across this topic also; saw this same thing last year and this year around August in my mulch in a few places. I was going to start a new topic about it ;but don't need to now! [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Organic supplies| Next thread: oriental lillies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: