The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

A lettuce question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: a good plant| Next thread: A Little Bit of Spring »
Back to Thread index
by seo on June 06, 2006 04:51 AM
Hello, I've read through the board trying to figure out my questions about lettuce (sorry, new to all of this!) without much luck. I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly! So, if anyone knows... please pass info along!

I have 4 lettuce plants (regular iceburg, not loose leaf, right?) and they're about 3 inches high and wide now. Question is, when and how much should I start harvesting? Just outer leaves? Leave the inner leaves so the plant will regrow? Just any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
by markr on June 06, 2006 06:26 AM
I never harvest anything at that size!
but i transplant them at that size or smaller, then let them grow on to full size, and then take them when they get a nice firm heart.
i also sow lettuce every 2 weeks so i have them to follow on throughout the season.

-
Mark
by johnCT on June 06, 2006 06:40 AM
What variety is it? You sure they're not leaf lettuce? Even so, at three inches they're on the small side, but if you really want to they can certainly be harvested at that point. Not sure if the plants would survive being just partially harvested at that young age though. If it were me I would wait a couple more weeks at least.

John - Zone 6
by dodge on June 06, 2006 12:55 PM
6 inches or higher is the better time.. Just grab a hand full and cut all of them at the bottom. about 2 inches from the soil.. Just cut what you need at that time.. Next day grab more. Cut them with sissors is what I do.

Happy eating...
[clappy] [clappy] [clappy]
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by weezie13 on June 06, 2006 03:41 PM
Seo,

Iceberg lettuce forms a ball like..
So, it takes a while for it to form..

Leaf lettuce you cut by the outter leaf...

And Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way,
we're veryyyyyyy glad you found us!! [thumb] [clappy]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by seo on June 07, 2006 01:22 AM
Thanks so much for the replies! I think I might have been misunderstood a bit though. I don't want to harvest yet, just wondering what to do when the time came! [Smile] Sorry about that. I will take your tips to heart and hopefully will be eating some wonderful salads in a few weeks time!

Thanks much! So happy to have found this board!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: a good plant| Next thread: A Little Bit of Spring »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: