The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

passionflower

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Passion Fruit| Next thread: Passionflower buds? »
Back to Thread index
by peppereater on June 25, 2006 06:18 AM
Here are some pictures of my passionflower. I thought you would all enjoy seeing this exotic beauty. It's the most unique flower I think I have ever seen. It's passiflora incarnata, known as Maypop, passionflower or passionvine.

-

-

-

-

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Merme on June 25, 2006 08:17 AM
Oh Dave ~ that is so lovely!

Thanks so for sharing it with us. Can you also tell us a bit about its care requirements?

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by buzylady on June 25, 2006 08:21 AM
I like your passionflower. I had one a few years ago. I couldn't keep it through the winter. A very nice member here sent me one a few weeks ago. It is just getting some leaves. I can't wait till it blooms. Is yours climbing a bed frame? Nifty.
Thanks for the pic
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by peppereater on June 25, 2006 09:08 AM
Yep, Diane, that's a bedframe. Which kind is yours? I think some are more tender than others. This one grows in the wild here.
Merme...there's not much to their care. They tolerate poor soil, drought, etc.I'm sure they'd benefit from P and K, but I haven't fertilized this one. I've had it for three years or more, I forget.
There's an interesting thing about these. They're the only host there is for the Gulf Frittilary and Variegated Frittilary butterflies, meaning their larva feed on only this vine. Since I garden for the butterflies, too, I let them eat all the foliage. Notice the bits of leaves missing? The plants are adapted to this, so they can tolerate it. Several generations of butterflies can hatch from the larva.
The vine also produces passionfruit, which tastes a little like a mild, sweet lime crossed with cantalope, or slightly like a kiwi. Very tasty, but it doesn't produce many.

-
Dave
by plants 'n pots on June 25, 2006 09:57 AM
Pepper - what zone are you in there?
I got a 6 inch cutting of one a year ago May, and it grew well last summer outside and then like gangbusters indoors, but I've yet to see a single flower.

Is there anything I should be doing to encourage it to bloom? Does it have to be a certain age?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Squirrel on June 25, 2006 09:59 AM
Dave, Great pix. I got this same one this year. Bought the plant and it was blooming when I bought it. The flowers are so unique. My hubby said he thinks they look like something from outer space. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] That's a good thing. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] After it bloomed, it kind of just sat there and them it started vining. Just noticed yesterday there are more buds and I'm so excited. What do you do with it at the end of the season? Do you cut it back or does it naturally die back? I hope it comes back next year. I'm in 6b. Any thoughts! [Smile] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Squirrel on June 25, 2006 10:03 AM
Oh Lynne. I did't know you could bring them inside over winter. How do you care for it indoors? [dunno] :)Sue

-
 -
by peppereater on June 25, 2006 10:04 AM
I don't know about other varieties, but this one flowers a month or so after it emerges, and flowers continually, a flower a day per stem, usually, most of the season. I'd say give it phosphorous and hold out on nitrogen. They love full sun. I'm in zone 7. They call these maypops because they just "pop" out of the ground in May in most regions, and grow like crazy.

-
Dave
by peppereater on June 25, 2006 10:06 AM
Sue...I think it'll be fine outdoors in your region, but I'm not sure. Here, they just die back at the end of the season.

-
Dave
by buzylady on June 25, 2006 12:19 PM
Dave, my passionflower came fom member nmlAlba. She is in Malysia. They grow wild there also. You're in OK? What zone are you? I wish they would grow wild here. There is another plant for warm weather I like. Princess plant.
I have an old bed frame in an old shed, handed down from inlaws who lived here before. I've been trying to figure out how to get it out.

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
by buzylady on June 25, 2006 12:22 PM
Ok now I see your post. Zone 7. That's not too far from zone 6 where I'm at. Oh well, do with what you have and be happy.

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
by tkhooper on June 25, 2006 02:30 PM
I understand it's a year from seed. But I could be wrong. I started some earlier this year and am still waiting for the sprouts. I'm practicing patience lol. Ty for the pictures they are great.

-
 -
by dodge on June 26, 2006 02:41 PM
help ......

Malaysia sent me those seeds, I have planted 2 weeks ago......I am zone 5 or 6......Depending who I talk to..;o)

I have to kep it inside in winter dont I? If it grows..

dodge [dunno]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Karrie on June 26, 2006 02:56 PM
I planted one stem of this plant in my garden in Indiana.....that one stem turned in to well over a hundred. I pulled and pulled I think it caused me more work the the actual weeds did in that bed it just kept growing, I think I even sent some to members last year. When I went home this year for the race, there it was all over the flower bed, it grows like crazy there. I was tempted to bring some starts home but was afraid they would take control of everything again. By far one of the most invasive plants I have ever grown. But those blooms wow soooo pretty and unique.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by dodge on June 27, 2006 03:15 AM
Eeek

dodge

-
 -
by peppereater on June 27, 2006 03:17 AM
Wow! Karrie, they must have really liked that flowerbed!
Dodge...I've never checked what zone it's hardy to.
tk...you might try nicking the seeds or sanding a spot on the coat. A friend did that with seeds and got good germination.

-
Dave
by johnCT on June 27, 2006 03:43 AM
I understand the fruit is an aphrodisiac. Any truth to this Dave? [dunno] [kissies]

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on June 27, 2006 04:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
I understand the fruit is an aphrodisiac. Any truth to this Dave? [dunno] [kissies]
[lala]

-
Dave
by Karrie on June 27, 2006 04:38 AM
I was in zone 5b in indiana I believe, and I never took mine in and it was all over the place this year, and hubbys granny has had hers out side for years right up the road from me. They come back year after year.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Squirrel on June 27, 2006 01:29 PM
I second that, dodge. [shocked] [scaredy] [shocked] Sue

-
 -
by bibee on June 29, 2006 03:54 PM
I have been trying to get the passion flower but no luck. they use grow wild around here. but can't find them anymore.

Angela

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/bibee1990/
by dodge on June 29, 2006 03:59 PM
bibee

Ask the lady from malayasia .. She will send seeds..

dodge [Roll Eyes]

-
 -
by bibee on June 30, 2006 12:47 AM
dodge
how do i that i am new to this

Angela

by dodge on June 30, 2006 04:46 AM
bibee

Do this ...here is her name/

Post a message to
nmlAlba-dc15.........she is in Malaysia.. I dealt with her and it came in 7..

her name is Norhaini......see if you get a reply ..I did post one to her from me to talk to you.

good luck
let me know if she gets to you..

dodge

-
 -
by bibee on June 30, 2006 06:13 AM
thanks dodge
maybe she will cause i don't know what i'm doing on here. i am new on here.

Angela

by dodge on June 30, 2006 08:35 AM
no problem bibee

We all started out just like you,,

Just keep asking.

dodge

-
 -
by bibee on July 01, 2006 02:14 AM
thank's dodge
i got her pm
angie

Angela

by dodge on July 01, 2006 02:42 AM
bibee

How lovely......
See how we help each other??????
Were all buddies........Welcome to our FOrum, stay long and come often.

dodge

-
 -
by bibee on July 01, 2006 12:36 PM
dodge

yes it is so nice to have friends to help you
out every once and a while

Angela

by dodge on July 01, 2006 12:45 PM
bibee;

Right......
I been taught a bundle on here......There are all sorts of forums, and questions galore..YOu dont see that in any newspapers..

;o)
dodge
It is a lot of fun , and entertains one when we have to stay inside.

N.C. I hear is a great place........

[wavey]

-
 -
by bibee on July 01, 2006 01:17 PM
you got that right
S.C is the best
look i am looking for the starflower seeds.
i planted some but i don't think they are coming up.
i pm Adriel_135 but i think that was an old post. i seen where you trade with her before.
they need on here a place where you can go and look up the picture and have all the info. like
what the seeds look like & where & when to get them. what the plant looks like when it starts growing. let see anything i forgot. o well i'll think on it awhile. [angel]
how do you get the instant reply when someone makes a reply?
angie

Angela

by dodge on July 01, 2006 02:40 PM
bibee

Are you talking abut Borage???
Mine is growing beautiful......I will check an see if I have any of those left ..

Did I get those from Adriel? Quite a while ago. i have traded with so many folks, last 2 years and cant remember them all.
Let me check angie, before you panic,

[Wink] [Big Grin] [Embarrassed] dodge

-
 -
by dodge on July 01, 2006 03:04 PM
bibee

I checked the name on here, starflower is another name for Borage......
Went up in the seed room and checked, didnt find any seed yet......my supply is a huge mess.. i will keep looking.......
However after mine go to seed, I will gladly share.......This is my first trip with them.
I didnt even know what it was .
I started them inside , about march.. ANd they are growing terrific form me in Penna.

I will keep you in mind.

dodge [flower]

-
 -
by bibee on July 01, 2006 04:16 PM
ok thank you. i got mime from wal-mart go figure
i pm u

Angela

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Passion Fruit| Next thread: Passionflower buds? »