The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Passionflower buds?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: passionflower| Next thread: Pasta E Fagioli »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on July 20, 2006 06:38 AM
I have a passionflower vine that is doing very well this summer. I got it as a 6 inch cutting in a plant swap a year ago May. It did not flower last summer, grew well indoors this past winter, and now has 6 buds while growing out on my front porch.

The question is... How long does it take for the flower buds to finally open?
I first noticed a few buds on July 5th.
They still have not bloomed!!!
Here are a couple of pictures - the larger one was the first bud I noticed 2 weeks ago - it looks like it's getting ready, but sheeeeeeesh!!!

-

-

Also... I've tried doing cuttings from this many different ways, and none are working. Anyone have a foolproof way to do it? [dunno]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by luis_pr on July 21, 2006 07:03 PM
Mine is in full sun and it started blooming in June. But the flower buds sure took their sweet time opening over here too! Luis
by Patty S on July 21, 2006 08:08 PM
Lynne, if this is from a plant that started as a cutting last year, I suggest that you do whatever you did last year to make it work! [grin] (& then tell ME, please!! I've tried for 2 years in a row to get Passion flower cuttings to work, & can't seem to do it... in water, in soil, with or without rooting stuff.. they just won't root for me!) [nutz]

Passion flower needs full sun, & you mentioned that you have yours on your front porch... is it in a spot that's getting sun all day long? Since I can't seem to get one growing, I can't say first hand how long the buds take to open, but it sure seems like they should have by now! (If I'm not mistaken, the blossoms last a long time... maybe it just progresses slow.) [dunno]

BTW, it looks VERY happy... Great pics! [thumb]
(That's all just ONE vine?)
[shocked]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on July 27, 2006 03:54 PM
Thanks Luis and Patty.

Patty - the 6 inch rooted cutting was given to me in a styrofoam cup - I've lost contact with the person who gave it to me.

Here is a picture of the vine when I first put the pot outside this year -
yes, all this growth is from 1 STEM!!!

-
It has practically doubled since then - 6-14-06

THIS EVENING I SAW THE FIRST FLOWER FULLY OPEN!!! [clappy] [Cool] [flower]
 -

-

-
 -
by Triss on July 27, 2006 03:58 PM
WOW, that is stunning!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by plants 'n pots on July 28, 2006 03:40 AM
Thanks Triss!

But... what's going on here today?
When I went outside to look at it this morning I couldn't find it!!!
I thought maybe the deer had gotten to it... but then I saw the bud all closed up.

Do these beautifully intrinsic flowers only last ONE DAY??? [dunno] [Eek!]
That's probably why I missed the very first one...

-

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on July 28, 2006 03:48 AM
OK then - just answered my own question in a google search...

quote:
Also please note that almost all passiflora flowers last for just a day, but people often don't notice this because they are so free flowering.

Passiflora Online

Waaaaah - I only have 3 more buds, and we'll be away tomorrow through Sunday!
Hope I don't miss them. [shocked] [dunno] [Eek!]

(on the other hand... I'm so very glad that I peeked outside yesterday evening and got to enjoy that one!!! [Cool] )

-
 -
by plantqueen on July 28, 2006 04:49 AM
That is a beautiful flower! I will have to get myself a cutting off of one of those! I will have to find somebody that has one!

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by plants 'n pots on July 28, 2006 04:57 AM
If you have good luck in rooting a cutting, PLEASE let me know how you did it!?!

I've tried several now, and none have taken, no matter which method...

-
 -
by gailo on July 28, 2006 05:32 AM
I bought a passionflower vine at Lowes this year and planted it in June. I thought it was never going to bloom, but then it took off and got many many buds. The flowers do last only one day. I grew up in south FL where these vines grew to cover fences. The grounds was sandy with excellent drainage. I have fed my vine with a 15-30-15 fertilizer and it is in full sun. I think yours will take off in a couple more weeks since you are a little farther north from me (MD). My passion flower is the purple one, but still there isn't too much difference.
 -

I would like to know how to start it from a cutting too.

gailo
by penny in ontario on July 28, 2006 08:35 AM
Very nice you guys!

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: passionflower| Next thread: Pasta E Fagioli »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: