The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Passion Flower

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: passion flower| Next thread: Passion Flower »
Back to Thread index
by LandOfOz on August 24, 2006 10:35 AM
I have 4 passion flower plants growing and 1 is finally putting on some flower buds. Does this plant self-pollinate? I'm not entirely sure what to expect seed-wise. Will I get a passion fruit from these flowers and the seeds be in there or do they produce a seperate seed pod? Thanks!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by floweringchild on August 25, 2006 05:01 AM
Hi LandOfOz,

Cool name [Wink] , especially since you are from Kansas!

What colors are your passion flowers? I have seen white, red, and purple. Do you have them in pots or ground? Facing in which direction? Watch out for caterpillars as Monarchs and Gulf Fritillaries love those plants. It's how I first became acquainted with passion flowers. Several years back, I grew a purple passion flower in the ground and put it in for a small butterfly garden. This plant just took off to the point where I pulled the vines to the front of my house and hooked up wire trellises on the front of my house. Didn't have a digital at the time [tears] , could have had some great pics as it was a spectacular sight. We had a hard freeze that year and I lost them. I had previously had the vine for several years!

I do remember having seed pods but not sure about the passion fruit. Sure wish I would have kept those pods. [scaredy] Want to put down more passionflowers and hopefully soon.

Stephanie

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 25, 2006 06:35 AM
Patty, here's some good info about the Passion Flower.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by LandOfOz on August 25, 2006 06:51 AM
I'm not sure what color my passion flowers are going to be--they have buds but no blooms. I have 4 volunteer plants from my neighbor who has both purple and blue. They are planted in a flowerbed on the west side of my home. They get partial sun (probably around 5-7 hours of direct light). I keep them moist and lightly mulched. These send down such a long tap root that I'm not sure how they could be grown in containers!!

Tulsa, thanks for the link but I'd already checked it out. I am wondering if I could collect seeds so I could plant more of these next year. I sounds like the seeds are in the fruit. However, my neighbor swears that he didn't get any fruits last year but there are plants coming up all over his yard!! So there must've been seed from somewhere.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by TulsaRose on August 25, 2006 10:31 AM
Sarah, do a Google search for "Passion flower propagation." I think getting seeds depends on the type of plant you have...I can't remember for sure what I've read. As for harvesting seeds, you probably won't need to worry about it with four plants in place. They'll be sending up runners all over the place and you can just transplant them. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: passion flower| Next thread: Passion Flower »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: