The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Passion Fruit

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Passion Flower Vines| Next thread: passionflower »
Back to Thread index
by LandOfOz on October 04, 2006 10:03 PM
My passion flower has produced a passion fruit! [Frown] [grin] How do I know when it is ready to pick? I've read that the fruit needs to be overripe to harvest viable seeds from it. The fruit is about the size of an egg and is green with little black/brown specks on it. It is also soft--like it's filled with gases. Any information would be helpful!!

Thanks,
Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by comfrey on October 05, 2006 10:36 AM
I would have to see it to tell you for sure, but if it is soft then it should be ready...Then what I have done is let the fruit dry out more after you pick it before getting the seeds.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on October 05, 2006 11:35 PM
I'll see if I can get out there and take a pic of it this afternoon--provided it's not raining. I noticed yesterday that it has a faint yellowish blush at the bottom of the fruit.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by LandOfOz on October 06, 2006 03:37 AM
Here it is:

-

Hopefully it isn't too big.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by comfrey on October 06, 2006 08:23 AM
I would say it is ready to pick...Then after you pick it let it dry out..it will wrinkle up and dry out, then you can harvest the seeds. It grows wild around here, I saw some up the road on a fence, I'll go up there tomarrow and get some so in case yours turns out to not be ready I can send you some more seed, but if it feels soft then it should be ready.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on October 06, 2006 10:26 AM
Thanks for the imput, comfrey. I'm not too worried about seeds because I've gotten 5 volunteer plants this year from my neighbor and he insists that I come get more next year as they are taking over his lawn. He's never gotten a fruit though.

It must be quite a sight to see a bunch of wild passion flowers blooming along the side of the road. It is really a very beautiful and singular flower. I just love them. I need an arbor or something for them, to show them off!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by johnCT on October 06, 2006 10:05 PM
Aphrodisiac......

[thumb] [Wink]

John - Zone 6
by LandOfOz on October 06, 2006 10:51 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [shocked] [Embarrassed] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by comfrey on October 06, 2006 11:48 PM
They are very beautiful when they are blooming.

And John [shocked] you should be ashamed of yourself...where did you come up with that???? [nutz]

The medicinal properties are: Antispasmodic, diaphoretic & sedative. Which it is used most often as a sedative and added with other ingredients in herbal teas.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on October 07, 2006 12:16 AM
What colors do you got down there, comfrey? Mine are purple.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by comfrey on October 07, 2006 01:56 AM
It is purple here also.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 07, 2006 03:50 AM
John, LOL ! My kinda guy ! [Big Grin] [Embarrassed]

-
 -
by johnCT on October 07, 2006 04:52 AM
Passion fruit is a known aphrodisiac. [teacher] Just like green m&m's.

Try it out on your husband Comfrey. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by LandOfOz on October 07, 2006 05:32 AM
Well you learn something new every day. Besides, green M&M's are my favorite--I make my kids trade me other colors for them!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by comfrey on October 10, 2006 11:33 AM
[shocked] green m&m's [nutz]

I happen to like the green m&m's, but only because it is my favorite color. I think the cooler weather has made John just a little froggy [tongue] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by johnCT on October 10, 2006 07:31 PM
Brrrrrrrrrrrrr......

John - Zone 6
by LandOfOz on October 10, 2006 09:48 PM
I cut open my passion fruit (come on, I let it sit for 2 whole days!! I couldn't help myself!) and the seeds are a milky white and there was no juice or anything. Everything inside the fruit was a milky white color and dry. Very odd, I thought. Is this normal? Aren't the seeds supposed to be black/brown?

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by comfrey on October 11, 2006 12:32 AM
Well the seeds should be dark in color, but you should have allowed the fruit to dry naturally after you picked it, like a gourd, then remove the seeds, so I'm not sure what will happen, let it dry and see.

-
 -
by johnCT on October 11, 2006 01:35 AM
Slip them into your husband's oatmeal and see what happens. Then you'll know for sure. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by comfrey on October 11, 2006 03:38 AM
All of the ones I have cut open have a gel like substance around the seeds, usually.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Passion Flower Vines| Next thread: passionflower »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: