The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aloe Vera Help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Aloe Vera Cuttings| Next thread: Aloe Vera help please »
Back to Thread index
by clairewooldridge on September 07, 2004 04:50 PM
Hey! I have just started a new job. In the office we have two very sad looking Aloe Vera plants.They sit in the window all day and I water them twice a week. However, they have gone a pinkish colour, some of the limbs have white spots, and most of the bottom limbs have shrivelled up, and the rest of the limbs feel 'squidgy' and not firm at all. They have been like this for some time, but are still alive! Can anyone offer me some advice as to how to nurse them back to health, if possible? Thanks...Claire, Manchester UK.
by BBMacpie on September 07, 2004 11:51 PM
Hi, I'll try to give you help. I think you've given them too much water, and maybe their ground is not good for succulent plants. From the description you made, I dare to say they've rotted. Take them out of the pot + check the roots. If the roots are ok, pot them again and water them only when the ground is really really dry. If the roots are rotted, let me know.

BBMacpie
by ShannonM022 on September 08, 2004 06:07 PM
I have an aloe plant and before I read up on it I was watering it way too much. Twice a week sounds like a lot. I have read you are only suppose to water them about once a month, or when the soil dries out. And in the winter you water them about once every 2 months or so. So maybe cut down on watering and it will help it look better.
by ritchie902 on September 16, 2004 08:19 AM
i would agree with shannon....you are probably over-watering it. let the soil dry out before watering.
by Yumi on September 16, 2004 02:27 PM
I agree with all of you that the problem was due to overwatering. I brought a piece of aloe from Mallorca this summer and the same problem occured pinkish/greyish leaves).Two days ago I changed the pot (smaller pot, drier ground, almost no watering). Yesterday I noticed that the leaves were partly back to their former tone (light green). I will leave it without watering some time.
I find it difficult to take care of this plant, though it is said many times that it is easy. Do you think it is easy to grow? Does it need to spend the winter in with no watering at all? how many months in Paris France? Can it take differences of temperature from night to day? Thank you so much in advance for your help.
by 2grnthumbs on September 18, 2004 06:41 PM
i've found aloe plants are not exceptionally easy to care for. i agree with the overwatering theory, however, it's hard to keep track of how often you have watered it and it seems to me that watering it once a month is so little!! but i wish u the best of luck with it!
by Sami on September 22, 2004 07:47 AM
I can testify...it's overwatering. I had a beautiful aloe for a few years. I, finally, decided to try to take care of my plants instead of ignoring them. I seperated all the babies from the main plant & repotted them all. Then, started watering them more & paying attention to them. Mine lost all the color, turned pink...I, eventually lost all but one little tiny one. I had it outside (thinking it needed lots of sunlight) but it seemed to get worse & worse. I brought it in & it has regained all it's coloring & is growing new leaves. It's been in for a few weeks now & I haven't watered it even once.

-
Talentless but connected.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Aloe Vera Cuttings| Next thread: Aloe Vera help please »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: