The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aloe Vera Care

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Aloe Vera Care???| Next thread: aloe vera concerns »
Back to Thread index
by J.Kenne on January 12, 2006 08:30 AM
While I was in job corps. I was given a plant that I literally know nothing about and it was dying. Needless to say I brought the poor thing back to life through trial and error. The poor thing has been through alot. Now it has another problem;

Recently the pot it was in, broke (not that it wasn't already broken)and while i was transferring it into another pot, I noticed it has NO roots! So I collected what I could and stuck it in a glass of water to hopefully get some roots. (I saw it done once on other plants)For an Idea of the climate I live in, I live in Washington state and during the winter months it's cold and rainy.

Okay, now the question, Is it okay to put it in a glass of water or will it drown it? (It is still "young" only about 5" long and "Curly")

Also, My cats are eating the leaves, will that hurt them? I've already moved it away from their reach.
by margaret e. pell on January 12, 2006 10:11 PM
Aloe are succulents, they store water, come from very dry places in the world, and most like a lot of sun. One with no roots means the soil was too wet and they rotted away. Buy some good, quick draining soil (cactus soil works) with no added fertilizers or mix your own, get the plant out of the cup of water (it will continue to rot there), plant it in a clay pot, and put it in a sunny location. You will probably need to prop it up for a few months because you don't want to burry it deeply. Water only when the top inch or so of soil is dry, and just wait. It'll do the rest!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by jdepoy11 on January 13, 2006 12:59 AM
I bought a mason jar full of aloe plant babies about two years ago. It was about five small seperate plants. Three of them are in their own jars of water now because they grew so big and have been doing great. The one plant that I put in soil seemed to do worse, he's still alive but not looking so great.. It brings up the question of how the water can be so bad? I've heard this from others as well that the aloe plant shouldn't be watered too often. What's my best bet for potting these guys? I've considered doing the 'jelly' artificail soil. Any thoughts on that?
by margaret e. pell on January 13, 2006 04:53 AM
Wow. I've never heard of growing aloe in water! I grow several different species and all, except the vera now that I think of it, really resent being wet. What do yours have by way leaves- number? size? Are yours the form that maintains juvinal characteristics and offsets heavily? How much sun do you give them? What do they have by way of roots in the water? Mine does beautifully in a quick draining soil, not very rich, and in a lot of sun. I've got to divide and repot it this spring, maybe I'll stick a baby in water and see what happens.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by J.Kenne on January 13, 2006 09:28 AM
Thanks for the tips... I have a little baby one in a pot with my crocus bulbs and hopefully it will do okay. I have another pot around here some where and find some rocks to stick in the bottom and re- plant it.

Do you have any thoughts on the cat issue.. they seem to be fine but hopefully they won't eat any more...

-
by kirksgirl on January 13, 2006 11:33 AM
I have always read they are toxic to cats, I always put mine up high rather then risk anything happening to my cat. The first thing I do when I get a new plant is make sure it is pet friendly.
by comfrey on January 13, 2006 11:42 AM
I haven't ever heard that they are toxic to cats, mine have nibbled on mine and laided in the middle of them with no signs of harm to the plants or the cats.

-
 -
by jdepoy11 on January 19, 2006 01:56 AM
I have heard that it is toxic to cat's as well. Not sure if it's true. I will try and snap some pictures of my 'water' aloes. I bought them at a garage sale for 50 cents and like I said there were probably 5 plants in a mason jar full of water. I've split them up because they were crowding each other. They just sit in their water glass ontop of my fridge for almost two years now.. I planted one and gave it away as a house warming and it's still alive 'allegedly'. I've been meaning to plant another one, but thel ast didn't do so well so I'm hesitant.. The plants all have about 6-8 inch 'leaves' about 3/4inch diameter..probably about 5-7 leaves on each plant.. I'll have to go home and look, but from memory that info should be fairly accurate. [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Aloe Vera Care???| Next thread: aloe vera concerns »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: