The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aloe Vera Cuttings

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: aloe vera concerns| Next thread: Aloe Vera Help »
Back to Thread index
by ssnla on January 19, 2006 03:07 AM
What do you need to do to grow aloe vera from a cutting?
by weezie13 on January 19, 2006 03:42 AM
ssnla,
Welcome to The Garden Helpers Forum..
I just wanted to let you know I was going to move your post into the HOUSE PLANT SECTION,
I believe you'll get a few more responses into
that section..
*but feel free to come back to the NEW MEMBERS SECTION, and re~introduce yourself..
and don't forget to take a peak around to all
the sections we have here..
There's lot's to do to keep busy thru alll the season's... [thumb] [flower]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ssnla on January 19, 2006 05:45 AM
ok thanks
by margaret e. pell on January 19, 2006 06:11 AM
For success a leaf cutting must have the part where the leaf connected to the stem. If it does, let it sit somewhere for a few days for the edge to dry out and heal over. This will prevent the leaf from rotting during the next step. If its a really long leaf you can cut it back to ~6-7 inches at the base end. (If it's aloe vera, use the tip end for gel.) Then, put the base end in a shallow bowl of dampish sand or sand and vermiculite, maybe about 1/4 inch deep. Then wait, keeping the sand evenly dampish, for 1-3 months. This is the hard part. As long as it doesn't rot or get too dry for too long, it WILL grow new plantlets from the base. Just not necessarily on your time frame. Avoid pulling it up and checking the edge. (Guess why these things come easily to my mind!?) If you have a stem cutting or a rootless offset, it's pretty much the same thing. Let it scab over/dry out at the cut edge, put it in your sand/sand&vermiculite, and prop it up a bit. You do't have to worry about it being too straight, thats for the final potting. When you get roots on any type of cutting that are about 1 inch+ long, pot the plant in a quick draining soil, cactus soil or something with added drainage material, and no added fertilizers. Put it in a sunny place, don't water very often, and enjoy it!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by ssnla on January 20, 2006 06:37 AM
Thanks Maragret P. I appreciate the information

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: aloe vera concerns| Next thread: Aloe Vera Help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: