The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

diffenbachia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Dieting Tips??| Next thread: Difference Between Neem Oil-Volck Oil »
Back to Thread index
by Shoshin on February 08, 2004 11:27 PM
Hello! I have a diffenbachia that is about 5' tall. It is a long stem with 10-12 leaves at the upper . It has been healthy and happily growing away for years and it still looks happy and healthy. However, it has decided suddenly to not support itself -- it is not loose in the pot, it's as if the stem has gone soft and just bends. It will bend all the way down to the ground. I've repotted it with fresh soil, staked and tied it, and put a big rock next to the base to help keep it up. I do turn it frequently so it gets even light and I don't water too frequently...I wait until it feels dry but before leaves wilt. Have I done the right things? Do I need to do more or something else? I appreciate any help you can give...this has been such a happy plant in my house.
by plants 'n pots on February 08, 2004 11:59 PM
When my very healthy diffenbachia got top heavy like yours, I cut it half way back and just stuck the top piece in another pot. It rooted easily, and the stalk that was left sent out 2 new plants on either side of the top - they took longer to grow than the cutting. I have done this a few times since and have four very healthy and full diffenbachias from the first plant!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Will Creed on February 10, 2004 02:46 AM
P n'P has the right idea. Dieffenbachias inevitably grow so tall that their stems can no longer support them. The only solution is to cut it back. I usually cut back to a height of one to two feet. That way there is lots of room for it to start over and grow upward.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dieting Tips??| Next thread: Difference Between Neem Oil-Volck Oil »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: