The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: HELP!!!!!!!!!!| Next thread: help »
Back to Thread index
by Rochelle Rogers on April 29, 2006 09:41 AM
I have a young indoor tree, the specific name I cannot remember. There are four seperate trunks and when I bought it, the small trunks were intertwined, braided. Well recently there has been a growth forming on one of the trunks. And now if you follow that specific trunk all the way up to the branches all of the leaves on that trunk have died. In a matter of one day. I was wondering if this was the cause? Should I remove this tumor? If I do will it kill the whole plant?
Please Help!
by joclyn on April 29, 2006 11:20 AM
please post a pic of the tree as well as a close up of this 'tumor'. what kind of tree is it?
by DowntoEarth on April 29, 2006 02:56 PM
Sounds like you maybe have a ficus tree (ficus benjamina) or possibly a money tree (pachira aquatica)

Susan
by Rochelle Rogers on May 01, 2006 10:00 AM
It is a ficus tree...I'm going to try to post a pic soon of the tumor...
by Rochelle Rogers on May 01, 2006 10:01 AM
Does anyone know how i would go about posting a picture?
by melcon6 on May 01, 2006 11:56 AM
Try this thread
Personally, I use photobucket and find it very user friendly.

Basically you need to find a host site for your photos, then use the image button in the full reply to paste the url from your hosting site.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by joclyn on May 01, 2006 04:59 PM
i also use photobucket...it's free (they have a pay service as well - you get more storage space plus a couple of other extras) and it's really easy to use!
by NYCtourist on May 01, 2006 05:00 PM
It sounds like your ficus might have a gall, a growth the plant forms in response to an irritant such as an insect, bacteria, or fungus pathogen. Usually galls don't cause healthy trees harm, however you can prune it off - just make sure you sterilize the pruning shears after each cut to avoid spreading the organism that caused the gall.

Ficus shed leaves for many reasons and I wonder if the leaf drop is unrelated to the gall, particularly because it was so sudden. Has anything in the plant's environment or care regime recently changed?
by DowntoEarth on May 03, 2006 05:18 PM
When "one" of my ficus braided trunks (I think there where five altogether) died, lost all leaves and branches dried out while the others stayed green and healthy, it just didn't seem make sense. Come to find out, it was millipedes in the soil. All of a sudden there were "hundreds" of baby millipedes, about twenty adults as well.

My guess is, the babies were probably born in that trees root-ball section, and they were probably eating the roots up, adults too!

I got rid of all the millipedes and had to cut out that one tree away from the others (upper branched part) kind of like separating Siamese twins!

So, it could be a possibility that's what might be going on with yours, so you might want to check that out, otherwise I don't have a clue [dunno] to why just one of your braided trees died or seemed to die.

Susan
by Rochelle Rogers on May 08, 2006 03:18 PM
There doesnt seem to be any millipedesm I already changed the soil, and nothing has changed in the care of the plant either! I just dont know, the other branches trunks seem to be doing fine, I think I shall steralize a some shears and prune it off....Thankyou for all your help though!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: HELP!!!!!!!!!!| Next thread: help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: