The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Stargazer lily question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Stargazer Lily harm?| Next thread: stargazer lily suddenly brown »
Back to Thread index
by TheGardenerGuy on July 15, 2004 04:44 AM
I planted some of these 2yrs ago and last summer they bloomed wonderfully. This yr they didn't bloom at all and have pale leaves. [thinker] Has anyone had this problem? The bulbs i planted last fall are blooming great right now. I love these lilies and would like to plant more of them. [gabby]
Greg [wayey]

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by weezie13 on July 15, 2004 03:49 PM
Hi Greg,
Got a couple of questions for you???

How did you plant them???
How deep??
What kind of soil?
Sun?
Food?

And after they flowered, what did they do from flowering to fall? *what did they look like or anything happen to them*?

Weezie

I love these flowers!!!
So many colors, and so many styles!!!
(LilyFreak in Canada has a bunch of lilies)

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by TheGardenerGuy on July 16, 2004 02:21 AM
Nothing happened to them after they bloomed. I cut the stalks back after they bloomed i think. [dunno] They get afternoon sun and i water them on a regular basis. Maybe i need to put some fertilizer on them. I found out that they don't like to be planted around trees. Mine are in my flower bed by my door.
Greg [gabby]

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by Cricket on July 17, 2004 02:11 AM
I'm growing Stargazers (just opening now), calla, Asiatic, dwarf, calla and fairy lilies. I read to leave the stalks to die down naturally as this is how the bulb stores food for next year's blooms. Although they don't look great after blooming, I plant something in front of them to hide their appearance. Good luck!
by weezie13 on July 17, 2004 05:22 AM
Greg,
I think Cricket's right on target with that one.
If you cut the stalk down too early and it didn't have enough juice to make a stalk AND another flower for this year.....
It chose to make the stalk again... because there wasn't enough energy to do BOTH!!
And redoing just the stalk, I think should be able to give it the "juice" to both next season.

Leave the stalk this year Greg...
And see what happens ...for next years' flowering!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Stargazer Lily harm?| Next thread: stargazer lily suddenly brown »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: