The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

baby water lily question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by cookinmom on May 06, 2006 07:50 AM
I bought a water lily from Home Depot, and it looks like a little root clump, with some tiny leaves on stems about an inch long. I've had it in my pond for a couple weeks and it keeps getting more leaves, but the stems aren't getting any longer. I moved it to a large container of water where it will get more sun.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the leaves to make it to the surface? Is there something I need to do to make it grow better?

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by SpringFever on May 07, 2006 12:52 AM
Val,
You need to keep it in a pot big enough for the roots get some water plant dirt and some water plant fertalizer.. they like sun.. it will take a while for the stems to reach the top of the water.. don't be surprised if it does not bloom this year .. Mine did not bloom the first year I had it .. good luck!
Rita

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by cookinmom on May 07, 2006 03:44 AM
Thanks Rita. It came in a little pot with slits in the sides, and some weird-looking stuff that looks like kitty litter, but the package said it was clay. Think I should leave it in that?
I'll get some fertilizer for it.
I am so looking forward to when it blooms someday; it's supposed to be fragrant.

-
by SpringFever on May 07, 2006 07:01 AM
I had the same thing in mine and it smelt soo bad!
I washed the clay off and replaced it with the water plant soil..
It grew great I got lots of lily pads but no flowers.. I am just assuming you will have the same this year .. hope I am wrong though good luck!!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by cookinmom on May 28, 2006 04:50 AM
FYI, I got some "aquatic plant soil" which looks like big gravel to me, and some water plant fertilizer, and replanted my baby lily. It looks soooo much happier already! Some of the stems are even starting to get longer and look like they might be reaching for the surface already!

[clappy]

-
by BrianD. on June 06, 2006 08:28 AM
I bought the same from Home Depot. I planted as directed and have had great luck. I have only used the fertilizer one time. I will use it again this year (third year I've had them). I was lucky and all mine bloomed the first year. That usually isn't the case like springfeaver mentioned. They overwinter well in the same pots as well. If you have transplanted them they will do just as well if not better.

Brian D.
by cookinmom on June 06, 2006 08:53 AM
I am so excited about this plant! It is growing like crazy now. There are probably about a dozen lily pads now, and they're a couple inches across. And more are coming up! If it blooms this year, I'll post a picture.
[clappy]

-
by Gardencrazy on June 08, 2006 08:48 AM
cookinmom~ I am so glad your lily is growing so well. [thumb]

Another way to plant lilies is to get a plastic oil pan from Walmart/Dollar Store and just use regular garden soil in it topped off with the decorative pea gravel to hold the soil in place.

All aquatic soil is, is clay kittie litter.

Donna [flower]

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: