The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

morning glory seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Jiffymouse on April 09, 2004 05:05 AM
i'm confused [nutz] yes, i know that is normal for me, but... i have 3 different "official" instructions for getting good results from morning glory seeds
  • 1. soak them overnight, the nick them before planting
    2. nick them, then soak them overnight before planting
    3. soak them for 48 hours before planting
so... which is it???? [dunno]
by weezie13 on April 09, 2004 05:29 AM
I've only soaked them!!!

What you're doing to the coating/seed cover is breaking it down!!! It's really tough and is meant for seed preservation.....

Like Texas Bluebonnets' are the same way, a few other's too!

Say a plant produces "X" amount of seeds.......
If they were to produce plants with all of "X" amounts of them that next year, and that year was really crappy, like drought conditions or the seed fell in the wrong spot too shady or not the right growing conditions, and the plant failed to "do good" like produce low amounts of seed or inferior seeds, the seeds would have all of germenated and then nothing left for the following year, to have a chance to produce a good crop/plant/seed for the next year,

So, it's a way to protect it's self, for say 3 years worth of germinating, some will germenate the first year because it has a lighter coating, and the next year the seeds will have sat and gone thru a winter or harsh conditions, enough to start breaking down the seed coating for the following year, and so on.....................

Does that make sense or did I confuse you???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on April 09, 2004 05:31 AM
But I soak them in my Spray~N~Grow stuff....

I know other's nick theirs....

I'm sure someone else has a different tech.
That work equally as well.....

And make sure the soil is warm *as in not cold*
to germenate, they like warm soil,
I found that out the hard way and had to re~seed!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by duckie on April 09, 2004 06:00 AM
I agree with everything Weezie said.She's a pretty smart cookie [Big Grin]
I've been growing them for years.They are so pretty,and easy to grow.
I soak mine 24 hours in warm water.
I tried nicking the seed,and gave myself a nasty nick.
The same with moonflower,I grow them together.

[Love] [Love] ,
Shari

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 09, 2004 07:43 PM
Duckie,
I am just guilty of excessive amounts of reading!!
And I have the luck of *or someone's watching me from above* reading a Bluebonnet package a couple of weeks ago!!
I have a neighbor I send tons and tons of my Jalapeno peppers (I grow 6 plants, and I can't give the fruits away fast enough) so, she and I were talking about the forum here one day, and I told her how I was talking with Peppermint Lily and TxWildflower about the Texas Bluebonnets down there, and how beautiful they were, and she said, I'm from Texas, and you know with me one thing leads to another [gabby] and she said her sister sent her a package of seeds for that summer but they weren't doing well, and I tried helping her with some suggestions, and she said, well, I'll just give you what's left of the seeds and you can grow them and give me some seeds or baby plants back, I said, DEAL!!!

Well, *Here's the end of the story [sleepy] "
Inside the package had all that info on it.....
And I just love to read ANYTHING I CAN GET MY HANDS ON THAT DEALS WITH PLANTS AND GARDENING!!!

Anyways, JIFFY [wayey] [flower]
Have you done your seeds yet???

Try an experiment......
Take your seeds and cut them in 1/3 amounts....
#1. Soak
#2. Nick
#3. Do something else???
...A. Soak in a liquid fertilizer *Spray~n~Grow*
...B. Warm water
...C. What ever you can think of that's different

Then label which ones you did what to,
and that helps you learn what helps better, or faster or was the fertiled one's grown bigger....
Just a thought to help a new gardener build confedance in growing things.....

I am working mine up for growing all types of seeds this year [scaredy] I'm going to try it all for the first time this year with the green houses...

But I will be corageous and try it!!!
Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Chrissy on April 09, 2004 10:43 PM
I love morning glories & grow several different varieties every year. The method that I always use is this: I take a fine grit sand paper or a fingernail file & give them just a little bit of roughing up & then soak them in warm water over night. Then plant as usual. I have always had pretty good germination rates. I've never heard of spray-n-grow Weezie...living here in Mayberry I haven't got access to anything besides cow poop lol. I am going to have to look for some of that stuff next time I make it into a larger city. Happy Gardening [flower] Chrissy

-
 -
z5b

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: