The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

morning glory teepee and spiders?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: morning glory seeds| Next thread: morning glorys »
Back to Thread index
by write2rellie on February 06, 2004 06:52 AM
I got all excited about putting a morning glory teepee in the yard for my daughters to play in... however, my husband raised some concern that it would be a breeding ground for spiders. [Razz] There are spiders all over the place here. We've even seen black widows. [Frown] What would be the best way to make it not a home for spiders, but still safe for children to play in? [dunno]

-
rellie
by catlover on February 08, 2004 06:40 AM
I have no clue...but the best time to get those black widows is at night with a flash light in hand. Several months ago went around the perimeter of house/garage/RV garage/greenhouse/wood pile and inside the RV garage and sprayed Raid and smooshed about 25-30 of them. Make sure you get both sexes of them and smash the egg sac as well. I transplanted a stinging nettle plant on my patio yesterday and after it was all done a female and male black widow came out and I had had my arm under the cascading bush! [shocked] [Frown] Smooshed em both!!!!

I have another kind of spider but don't know what they are ....they are real light colored thin legged spider with virtually no body/moves REAL fast and boy do they bite ya a good one! I leave my garden spiders alone except when they are in my walkway, then I just keep moving there webs. They get frustrated and build where they don't get disturbed. Nothing is worse than coming to the front door in the dark and getting a face full of spider. Who needs a dog....when you have spiders protecting you....You should hear what comes flying out of people's mouths when they walk into one!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by Flower on February 08, 2004 02:26 PM
Ewwww......that's enough to give me nightmares!

I'm so glad we don't have spiders like that up here.

-
by Jillie on February 08, 2004 03:07 PM
Catlover, don't forget those huge brownish spiders that make those big webs from one tree to the next...I don't know what they are...but they are BIG guys [shocked]

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 08, 2004 04:42 PM
I AM WITH YOU ON THAT ONE FLOWER,
I LIKE SNOW, I LIKE SNOW, I LIKE SNOW!!!!! [grin]
Snow or Spiders,
hard choice,
SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!! ANY DAY!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Flower on February 08, 2004 05:07 PM
...I'll take the moster mosquitoes over those monster spiders anyday!

-
by catlover on February 08, 2004 05:51 PM
I had a spider last year (have no idea what is was) when I moved a clumping succulent....I knelt down put my arms around and under and held the massive/heavy rootball and plant that wanted to seperate against my stomach/chest area and transferred the thing twice because the hole was a little bit to deep. When setting it in place for the final time this big giganto dark brown hairy looking beast came out....(I don't know kinda looked like a trap door spider/tarantula looking thing but HUGO GIGANTO HAIRY) [shocked] [shocked] And he moved soooooooooooo fast! I had gloves on and a short sleeved T-shirt.... to think that thing could of been in contact with my arm, belly, boob......
.......Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey....could of been on my shirt or IN it for that matter.

Allthumbs....that was "justifiable" spider elimination!!!! [Big Grin]

That gave me the eeeebeeee geeebeee's for months!
Catlover

-
 -
 -
by Flower on February 08, 2004 06:17 PM
ewwwww.....it's giving me the eeeebeeee geeebeee's now!

-
by catlover on February 08, 2004 06:25 PM
[Big Grin] They LURK everywhere!!! [scaredy]

Just teasin....have you checked out under the desk where your legs are? [grin]

-
 -
 -
by Flower on February 08, 2004 08:37 PM
We got Lots-O-spiders here....but not big lurking ones like you have. [scaredy] We only got those itsy bitsy kinds....they don't bite.... [grin]

-
by write2rellie on February 09, 2004 06:56 AM
Wow, gee thanks guys. lots of help. now I'm really afraid to venture outside. ha ha. [Wink]
we don't have the tree spiders here, thank goodness, they're frightfull looking. [Frown] [shocked] seen 'em at my cousins.
but I'll take spiders over snow... as far as I know no one's invented a spray to get rid of a blizzard. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
rellie
by weezie13 on February 09, 2004 02:19 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Razz]

I'll still take a blizzard to something that
at any potential moment, could be jumpin' out
at me or on me (* [scaredy] [shocked] AND NOT KNOW IT [shocked] [scaredy] )
and bite me, with deadly poisions!!!!!

they forcast blizzards, I can stock up on
food and "stuff" and stay home and be safe!!
And we don't have blizzards everyday of the week,
24~7~365!!!!! Come to think of it, we haven't
really had a "blizzard" in a few years!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Flower on February 09, 2004 05:07 PM
quote:
as far as I know no one's invented a spray to get rid of a blizzard.
Hmmmm......if we did.....could we make millions? [thinker]

-
by njoynit on February 09, 2004 08:19 PM
hey...use a blow torch to rid blizzard.or line up barrels in yard with oil burning.will melt before it lands [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
MG teepee sounds kewl.I have a wisteria teepee
hubby been bit by recluse spider twice.nasty lil bugger.I don't care for agressive spiders.i got tons of daddy long legs...so if ya ever want any...will mail ya some.they eat bugs.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Flower on February 09, 2004 11:58 PM
[thinker] hmmm....and maybe they can put heating coils in the streets....so they always stay clear of snow too ... right?

I think you otta still go ahead with the Tee Pee thing.....maybe the spiders wont go there?

-
by write2rellie on February 10, 2004 05:35 AM
if it were just for me, I'd go for it. But my girls are 2 and 4. wouldn't want them in spider's way... [Frown]

-
rellie
by Barb H. on February 14, 2004 05:59 AM
Ewwww....I am getting the chills and the creeps from reading all of this spider talk! I HATE them!!!!!

I would, ABSOLUTELY, positively rather deal with the family of snakes in my yard than deal with spiders!!!!! [scaredy] [scaredy]

-
by Danaus29 on March 08, 2004 08:08 PM
Morning Glories attrack hummingbirds. Hummingbirds eat spiders. Personally I hate spiders too. We don't have the widow spiders here very often but we do get big icky spiders. I'ld check the teepee before letting them play in it and get rid of (SMASH) any spiders found there.
by write2rellie on March 20, 2004 09:16 AM
Hi! Well, I've got the tee pee structure up, YAY [thumb] Will try to get pics up soon. I nicked and soaked morning glory and sweet pea seeds in two tupperware containers and on planting day handed one to each of my girls with instructions "Do NOT open this until I tell you to!" turned around to grab a shovel and by the time I looked the younger (age 2 1/2) had dumped the morning glory seeds somewhere in the lawn! [nutz] My fault for entrusting her to the task. I just had to laugh at her sweet smile. I asked "Who spilled this?" In the guiless way little ones have she raised her hand up high and proudly said, "I DO!" [Cool] [kissies] so the tee pee has sweet pea seeds planted, but not yet sprouting. I wonder what will become of the morning glories!?! But whether or not the sweet peas grow, the tee pee is already a hit with the girls who play in it every time we go out front. [thumb]

-
rellie
by Jillie on March 20, 2004 02:30 PM
Good job, Rellie! [thumb] [thumb] Eager to see your pics. What a fun thing for the kids to play in....It's gonna be great when everything gets all sprouty & starts climbing.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on March 20, 2004 11:33 PM
That's sweet Rellie. Glad they like it, and i'mm with jillie, can't wait to see the pics!
by write2rellie on March 21, 2004 01:38 AM
ok, here it is- stage one, the building of the tee pee:

http://community.webshots.com/user/write2rellie
did it work?

oh, and please check out my post in the mystery plants section too!

-
rellie
by Jiffymouse on March 21, 2004 01:46 AM
it worked [thumb] am looking at the pics now!
by Jiffymouse on March 21, 2004 01:53 AM
suggestion and question

1, post a like to the mystery plant album in the mystery plant section

2, did the bulb come up through the rocks?
by write2rellie on March 21, 2004 02:04 AM
i must have been posting in the mystery plant while you were viewing the pics, it's done now, with all the pertinent info.

-
rellie
by Barb H. on March 23, 2004 08:51 PM
Rellie,

I really like your sweetpeateepee....try sayin' that five times fast!!! Your baby sounds adorable! I think I will make something like that for my boys this year. I have a small side yard by my driveway, that during the summer I park my car blocking off the front of the drive on the street so the boys can skate, ride their trikes and bikes, etc. I think a children's garden there would be wonderful...with a tee pee and some sunflowers, etc., next to their sandbox and park bench. I could even use their old wading pool to make a small vegtable garden for them to tend....oh, boy! Sounds like fun! When they grow up I will use the side yard for a rose cutting garden, with all diff specimens.

Have a happy day!
Barbara

-
by Barb H. on March 23, 2004 08:55 PM
OH!! And P.S. SHOULD I have soaked the morning glory seeds????? I did for the sweat peas and they are sprouting, but nothing with the morning glories. I don't think they said on the package to soak.

Barb

-
by write2rellie on March 23, 2004 09:59 PM
Thanks Barb,
I too park at the bottom of my driveway when I'm doing yard work and the kiddos play, ride bikes, trikes, whatever. [Wink] Thought that was my original idea!

The morning glory packet I got said nick the hulls of and soak the seeds for 12 hours prior planting. but since mine are in the grass... who knows what they're doing...

-
rellie
by Barb H. on March 31, 2004 07:01 PM
Rellie,

I planted some morning glories....both inside and out...the outside ones are finally starting to sprout...though not as many as i planted. The ones in the house are sprouting nicely though!

The boys liked the idea of the teepee..but they also said they wanted it in the upper tier garden so that they they could let their trains drive through it like a tunnel...so that may be what we do!

Barb

-
by Bestofour on April 01, 2004 04:16 AM
I've never soaked morning glory seeds. I think you're going to have to check the teepee each time before your girls get in it to make sure there are no creatures. I've had hummingbirds buzz my head and I'm sure they could scare your children.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by write2rellie on April 02, 2004 07:29 AM
we have cockateils in the house so the girls are not too scared of birds. and they go bug hunting everytime we go outside. they collect worms, ants, rolly-pollies, and ladybugs. the iceplants on the divider wall are right at my daughters' eye level and it gets swarmed with bees. my four year old walked right up by the plants to watch the bees and told me, "mom, i can get up close to them... as long as i don't bother them they won't sting me" [clappy] she's braver than me!

My only real concern is spiders. expecially since i know there are black widows in this area. [shocked] [Frown]

finally the sweet peas are starting to sprout! [flower] Well, at least one anyway. I'm so happy!

-
rellie

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: morning glory seeds| Next thread: morning glorys »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: