The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Morning Glories

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: morning glories| Next thread: morning glories »
Back to Thread index
by linda12159 on April 21, 2005 04:41 PM
Has anyone had any luck transplanting morning glories?? i got way ahead of my self when starting these beauties from seed. i didn't read throughly about them and now i find out they dont survive transplanting......i'm so sad!!!!! i was hoping somebody hear has transplanted morning glories with success?????? i've aready got mine outdoors in the ground, they haven't died.....i dunno....you plant the seed....wait patiently for it to sprout....nurture them....then they dont want to behave.....whats a parent to do....lol....Thanks, Linda

-
learn from others mistakes....you can't live long enough to make them all yourself
by loz on April 22, 2005 02:29 AM
Hey Linda, I'm growing some of them myself--and I read that they don't handle transplanting well....so I started them out in peat pots that way I can just transplant them right in the pot and not disturb the roots and the plant.

How long have you had them planted out in the ground for????? [dunno] Maybe yours will pull through--keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Laura [wayey]
by linda12159 on April 22, 2005 03:18 AM
Hi Laura.....I guess the good news is I still have some seeds left. Do you think its to late to start them in the peat pots? Ive had them outside for about 5 days now.....they look ok, but time will tell. Thanks for your input!!

Linda

-
learn from others mistakes....you can't live long enough to make them all yourself
by Jiffymouse on April 22, 2005 04:47 AM
if you feel you must transplant them, then take a spoon or small trowel and scoop as much dirt with them as you can, trying not to disturb the roots. kinda like scooping about twice as much dirt as the leaves are big. it can be done, but it is hard...
by afgreyparrot on April 22, 2005 05:10 AM
Linda...
Jiffy is right on...scoop up as much dirt as you can with the roots.
I move/transplant Morning Glories all the time and never have a problem. I guess that's because I didn't have any idea that they were hard to transplant! [Big Grin]

Now that I'm aware of that, I guess I will have trouble! [Roll Eyes]

Please don't tell me zinnias are hard to transplant...I move them all over he!! and back all summer long.

cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by tkhooper on April 22, 2005 05:16 AM
LOL, I love you cindy your great. I read the "bad bird" string it was hilarious. If I can move Zinnia anyone can move Zinnia and they survived me.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on April 22, 2005 06:04 AM
[Big Grin]
DANG! Ever since I read that awhile ago...
..that Morning Glories are hard to transplant...
...I've felt JINXED! [scaredy] [Big Grin]
You know...the old saying "What you don't know won't hurt you"!

Oh...and the "Bad Bird"..... [lala]
...awhile ago she told me I needed a "time out"! [Big Grin]
She's a trip!

-
 -
 -
by linda12159 on April 23, 2005 05:38 PM
uh..oh!!!!!! you mean zinnias are the same way?? oh dear!!!!!! well, i agree with cindy.....what ya dont know wont hurt ya! thanks for the input on the mg's......i will try to scoop up as much dirt as possible. they've been in for a about a week now.....they haven't died, but i've noticed no new growth on them.....;-(

Thanks, Linda

-
by 4Ruddy on April 23, 2005 06:49 PM
Darn it ALL!!!! You guys have made me crazy now!(like I had a far to go)(NOT) I didn't know that morning glories were hard to transplant and have a million seeds already sprouted...I just thought that was the way you were supose to do it! But for some reason I always plant my zinnias in the bed where they are suppose to be so haven't ever had to transplant them. WELL...I'm gonna transplant them anyway...and we will see...just can't do it for a while it is suppose to get down to 32 tonight [Mad]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by afgreyparrot on April 23, 2005 07:24 PM
First of all.....
quote:
you mean zinnias are the same way?? oh dear!!!!!!
No, they aren't. They are obviously the easiest to transplant.
I don't think you CAN kill zinnias! [Big Grin]
My comment, " Please don't tell me zinnias are hard to transplant..." was in jest because they are so easy to transplant!

quote:
.....they haven't died, but i've noticed no new growth on them....
Key words here..."haven't died".
There ya go! [thumb] They'll start growing soon.

quote:
it is suppose to get down to 32 tonight
O.K....what's up with THIS???
It's almost MAY! ! ! ! !
"They" are saying down to 30 here tonight. [shocked]
I'm just about in panic mode right now. [scaredy]
Trying to figure out if my Brugmansias will be O.K. if I cover them good, or if I need to dig them up and bring them in. [dunno]
Maybe I'll sleep outside curled around the Brugs so my body heat will keep them alive.
(Hot flashes might be good for something after all!) [Roll Eyes] [lala]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by MissJamie on April 24, 2005 04:43 AM
well with my experience last year with morning glories...I didn't have a problem transplanting them at all and I was a really new gardener then lol [Big Grin] [Embarrassed]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Kurlie77 on April 27, 2005 08:21 PM
I have planted morning glories every year in window boxes and then transplanted them into the ground. Although I have always known they don’t respond well to being disturbed, I move them every year anyway and they usually wilt for a couple hours but I just keep them nice and wet and they always perk right up and pull through...there hasn't ever been a time when they died!! I find them extremely easy to grow...they always germinate within 2 or 3 days and then are about 4 inches tall the day after they pop out of the soil.... Does this happen to anyone else??? Also, at my old house we had a screen house, however a few years ago we took the screens out and I kept some of the morning glories in the window boxes and placed them in the windows where the screens used to be and wound twine diagonally across all of the windows for them to grow up...so once the plants were mature the windows were covered with gorgeous greens and a variety of colored morning glories!! It really was Be-A-U-tiful!!!
by njoynit on April 27, 2005 08:25 PM
I transplant MGs all the time.guess I been lucky.I also move my zinnias around.I transplanted my green envy last year cause didn't look good with purple& moved some oranges cause some were 5 ft tall.I also learned the seeds can overwinter here and sprout in spring.....so some will be re locateing from a bed cause its pinks& reds& purple foliage stuff.

**Cindy.burgs can be covered with sheets or a box over them.they would be fine if no frost& if zaps leaves can pull leaves nd they'll get new ones.uhh sorry...its the 27th now and think ya needed to hear this like the 23rd,just give um a shot of fertilizer and applogize [Roll Eyes]

I also when 1st started gardening would grow MGs in cups and transplant out.I just toss seeds and water and go about my gardening now.i'm getting sprouts everywhere& will be sowing some more shortly.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: morning glories| Next thread: morning glories »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: