The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Strange spider plant question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by MaryReboakly on September 26, 2005 04:31 AM
I swear I'm not really as looney as I might act sometimes. Well, not completely, anyway. That said, going out on a limb here, and I'm gonna ask yet another strange question. [Embarrassed]

I rescued a spider plant about a week ago, and noticed this at the time and thought it was just a passing thing, but I still notice it now -- my spider plant smells like stinky armpits.

[Big Grin]

Have you ever tried to find 'spider plant stinks like armpit' info on google? [Big Grin]

But, I'm serious! What causes that? Do I need to give it fresh soil or something? It's well drained - I mean, it's in a pot with drainage, not that I've repotted it, so I dont' really know what all is going on under the soil there....

-
 -
by margaret e. pell on September 26, 2005 09:37 PM
I haven't had a spider in years, but I don't remember them smelling like anything. It couldn't hurt to give it nice, fresh soil and check for root rot while you're in there.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Jiffymouse on September 26, 2005 11:30 PM
margaret, that is what i was thinking. the beauty of spiders is that they will tolerate having all their soil removed and then replaced. that is where i would start. let us know how it goes!
by catlover on September 27, 2005 12:12 AM
Wasn't it spiders that take bad chemicals out of the air(air purifier)..."my spider plant smells like stinky armpits." Maybe the past owner had a ummmm errr...problem with hygiene! [dunno] [dunno]
Go knock on the door where you picked it up and take a deep breath. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on September 27, 2005 01:26 AM
catlover, you are BAD!! but, yes, spiders are one of the air cleaning plants, so that might have been part of the problem!
by tkhooper on September 27, 2005 10:20 PM
Your sister in law is never going to live this one down, I just know it lol.

Some of the benefits of being a non-smoker huh Mary. I chased around the apartment for days trying to figure out a smell that I couldn't place. Finally figured out the problem was the lack of an overhead fan for the stove. The odor actually lingers for several days. I had never noticed it before because of the smoking.
by MaryReboakly on September 28, 2005 11:49 AM
[Big Grin] Oh man, this is good -- something to give my SIL a hard time about! On a serious note, she does have a teenage kid - and he does hang out in the area she had the plant -- so I'm thinkin now may be it was stinky, Jr. [Big Grin] I'll try changing the soil though and see. The good thing is, I stopped smelling it for a day or 2 now - the bad thing is, it's probably because I took in some lantana to try to root in my kitchen, and that stinks worse! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by catlover on September 28, 2005 11:02 PM
[shocked] ....you didn't tell us it was from your s.i.l!!!! [Embarrassed] [kitty] [perplexed]

You know those teenager feet!!! P.U....especially if they are in sports. Oh I remember those stinky feet days. [Razz]

Those lantana are very pretty but oh the smell...especially if you touch them. We had some at the condo by the swimming pool I used to live at. The ball would go flying and yep, everytime into those stinky bushes.

Is there a dish underneath that is holding water...or not enough drainage?

Good luck and let us know what happened.
You had better not show this thread to your s.i.l! [perplexed] [Embarrassed]
Catlover [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by MaryReboakly on September 29, 2005 06:08 AM
[Big Grin] It's okay Catlover, we 'got it that way' so I'll be SURE to tell her why my spider plant stinks [Big Grin] She'll get a kick out of it being the stinky pit boy of hers [Big Grin]

There's no plate under it, so I'm thinking I'll just give it a change of soil and see how that goes...

I think I'm gonna give up on tha lantana...can't have my kitchen smelling so stinky! Unless i put it in a ziplock and try rooting that way. If I'm lucky they'll overwinter here (not supposed to in 6) and I'll have done all this for nothing [Big Grin] I would definitely not mind paying for it again each year. I've gone crazy looking for the berries that it's supposed to produce...ugh - I'm getting so off-topic! [Embarrassed]

-
 -
by Will Creed on September 29, 2005 09:18 AM
I know this topic stinks, but it also deserves a serious reply.

Because this is a rescued plant, there is no way to know what might have been put into the soil. Replacing all of the soil is a major operation that might kill the plant.

Try mixing some horticultural lime with the water the next time you water. Give it a thorough drenching with the lime water. That will probably take care of the odor.

As an alternative, use a clothes pin!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: