The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Quick snake plant question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: quick 'n SUPER easy pumpkin seeds| Next thread: Quick SnakePlant ? »
Back to Thread index
by attennis on November 16, 2004 02:05 AM
Does anyone know if the variegation on a snake plant is brighter in more or less light? I've seen it both ways on plants, and I wanted to know how it is on my snake plant. I'm sure this isn't a tough question at all...

Thanks in advance!
by Jiffymouse on November 18, 2004 03:57 AM
well, my variegated sanseveria does much better with regular house windows light. it kinda bleached out when i had it in the sun.
by PAR on November 19, 2004 03:12 AM
Is that the same as "Mother-in-law's Tongue" or "Swamp Lily"? If so then they do LOOK better when growing indoors with indirect sunlight; but they grow quiet well outside too, though seem to loose there definit stipped appearance.
by afgreyparrot on November 19, 2004 05:49 AM
quote:
"Mother-in-law's Tongue"
That's what I call mine.
I have a bunch of these, and mine did not do well outside at all, even in the shade.
I have one in a dark corner (plant light above it stopped working a few months ago and haven't gotten around to fixing it yet!) that is doing as well as one that I have in front of a west window. It's about 4' tall.

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Jiffymouse on November 20, 2004 03:15 PM
that is the one... there is one variety that does well outside, in sun, but i don't know what it is called, the rest, i'd keep either in the house or in shade...

btw, i didn't know that mother-in-law's toungue was the same as a snake plant until i got on this board! i'd never heard of snake plant, but it didn't sound good to me!!
by delawaredrew on November 21, 2004 03:13 AM
I don't know if my experience with snake plants is definitive, it sits near a window but mine hasn't see much direct sun in years and is heavily variegated. It has some leaves that have fallen away from the plant. The couple of these leaves that protrude out into the sun are almost uniformly not variegated.
by attennis on November 22, 2004 04:25 AM
Thanks guys! I'll take the general consensus that the sun bleaches out the variegation. Thanks again for all your help!! [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: quick 'n SUPER easy pumpkin seeds| Next thread: Quick SnakePlant ? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: