The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Spider plant Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: spider plant question| Next thread: spider plant questions »
Back to Thread index
by TheGardenerGuy on September 19, 2005 03:47 AM
I have 3 spider plants that are getting babies on them. One is varigated and the other 2 are the regular ones.. [tongue]
Should i repot them or do they like to be rootbound? I was thinking about it before winter comes.. [dunno] [thinker]

Greg [kissies] [gabby]

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by Will Creed on September 19, 2005 09:26 AM
Keep them as potbound as possible. It is in that condition that they produce the runners and baby plants. If they reache the point that you have to water your spiders every day or so, then you can consider uppotting.
by TheGardenerGuy on September 20, 2005 10:08 AM
Will keeping them potbound restrict them from getting bigger? I want to get some large spider plants going.
Thanks for the help!
Greg

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by Jiffymouse on September 20, 2005 11:11 PM
yep, keeping them potbound will restrict their size. one thing i have done when i wanted a larger plant was to put the babies in the pot after i repotted to a larger pot. fills the pot faster.
by Will Creed on September 21, 2005 04:43 AM
Optimal growth is when the rootball is about 80% roots and 20% soil. That is why it is important not to up-pot prematurely or into a pot that is several sizes larger the the existing pot.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: spider plant question| Next thread: spider plant questions »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: