The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Suggestions for House Plant??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Baby Green Thumb on August 31, 2006 05:29 AM
Hi All,

I am looking for a new house plant to keep at work amongst my many other plants. I tend to favor tropicals but I welcome any suggestions. Bear in mind that the space I will be putting this plant receives A LOT of light, but nothing direct enough to burn. The temperature is also fairly regular. Any suggestions?
by badplanter on August 31, 2006 06:11 AM
Hello!

Maybe some type of Aloe would work...they need lots of light and little watering...

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by zuzu's petals on August 31, 2006 08:25 AM
One plant that I think has a great tropical look is Codiaeum variegatum ("Croton").
And it sounds like you have good conditions for it.

je mange, donc je suis
~~~ rene dessertcart

My Albums
by Pekemom on August 31, 2006 12:16 PM
The croton grows like crazy here in Florida. They are colorful, plentiful and a lovely plant to keep. I'm lately in love with Hoyas, myself, and think they'd make a perfect office plant - hearty, beautiful leaves of many variations, and blooms that are both tropical and fragrant.

Zuzu, your signature quote is so funny...And very French, I might add!!

-
 -  -  -  -  -
Pekemom's Gallery
by TomR on September 03, 2006 12:16 AM
Parlor palm, Chinese evergreen, Spider plant, Oak leaf Ivy to name a few.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by cinta on September 03, 2006 03:46 PM
If you want tropical and tall I would go with a ginger. I like the Croton Suggestion. Sounds like you have good enough light to grow a tropical Hibuscus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by dodge on September 14, 2006 08:15 AM
Try a pineapple.....

Get the pineapple at the store, cut the top off and root it in water and plant it.
Some one did that in our area and had edible pineapples this year...Nice place for a small tree

dodge [wavey]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by dodge on September 14, 2006 08:16 AM
Try a pineapple.....

Get the pineapple at the store, cut the top off and root it in water and plant it.
Some one did that in our area and had edible pineapples this year...Nice place for a small tree

dodge [wavey]

-
 -
by tkhooper on September 15, 2006 04:54 AM
I like my purple passion plant but it does like to stay moist. A three day weekend and it would be droopy. Not that they don't come right back because they do.

-
 -
by cinta on September 15, 2006 03:49 PM
How about a abutilion. I grew this one all winter in my garden window in bright light and it bloomed all winter/

Click to enlarge
 -

Purple Heart
 -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by GardenGuy_Gardener on October 02, 2006 06:21 AM
The pineapple idea is good. I have 3 pineapple tops rooted and growing. they look very tropical and are very tolerant of watering lapses.

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by dodge on October 02, 2006 07:29 AM
Garden guy gardener,

i am so proud of you.........

the person I seen had a real pineapple on it ..It was in our newspaper........Penna.

Let us know if it happens to you ..
Thanks for looking...

;o)
dodge [clappy]

-
 -
by GardenGuy_Gardener on October 02, 2006 08:11 AM
thanks dodge! [grin]

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: