The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Suggestion for Zone 3 - 8

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by shanbear on June 24, 2006 06:44 AM
Magic Carpet Spirea Picture- UPCLOSE & BEAUTIFUL!

Magic Carpet Spirea in the Spring!

When it has Purple Flowers...

Good Morning All:

I was just reading another post here in the forum in regards to Magic Carpet Spirea; what a beautiful (shrub!) For all those who don't know about it, I'd suggest taking a look if you're a Zone 3-8! (Even I can plant them! [Big Grin] )

Some info:

Name: Spirea x bumalda "Magic Carpet".

This bright foliage adds colour even if it's not in bloom! It's lightly kissed with red & gold in the spring and fall and is yellow & green throughout the summer.

Flower Colour: Pink to Purple

Conditions: Partial to direct sunlight. This plant is drought tolerant.

This plant will stay fairly compact; 24" wide (approx.) and 15-20" high. (approx.)

Anyway, the reason I suggest this plant is because I am a HUGE fan of colour and I just love how this particular plant gives that punch of colour all season long. As a member of the rose family, it truly is a gorgeous plant that I would suggest!

Thanks! And Happy Gardening! [flower]

Sincerely,
Shanbear
by Rosepetal on June 24, 2006 08:09 AM
Good idea Shanbear,

I can plant that one too. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

It sure is one beautiful plant. Love all those colors. I've planted my full amount this year already, but if one dies off during the winter I'll remember this one.

Thanks for the info'. [thinker]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by joclyn on June 24, 2006 08:26 AM
thanks, shanbear!!! that is one beautiful plant!!

i'd recently posted in the mystery section...one of the items turned out to be spirea...i thought it was the bumalda type; wasn't completely sure.

after seeing your pics, i'm sure now that that's what it is...it has pink flowers, tho.

the magic carpet variety will look nice next to the one that i already have...
by shanbear on June 24, 2006 10:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Rosepetal:

Good idea Shanbear,

I can plant that one too. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
...but if one dies off during the winter I'll remember this one.

My plesure Rosepetal! I just love being able to plant something in our Zone 3! LOL [Big Grin] My garden is full too this year but this is a must in my garden for spring!

As always, I love chatting with ya hun!

[gabby]
by shanbear on June 24, 2006 10:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by joclyn:

...that is one beautiful plant!!

i'd recently posted in the mystery section...one of the items turned out to be spirea... after seeing your pics, i'm sure now that that's what it is...it has pink flowers, tho.

the magic carpet variety will look nice next to the one that i already have...

Joclyn! Long time no chat! [gabby] Magic Carpet has flowers that vary from pink to a purple so that very well could be your plant. What a beautiful surprize! [party] Did you just find it in your garden one day? Or was it there previously?

Do you have a picture you can share? I'm envious, although I love this plant, I just purchased my new house and it's too late in the year to plant some. [tears]
by joclyn on June 24, 2006 06:44 PM
[wavey] shan!

technically, it's my neighbors plant...poor thing never gets too big as it's over shadowed by the bush that's next to it.

my neighbor is an older gentleman - he's no longer capable of taking care of the lawn/gardens and his kids/grandkids aren't much help. they do the lawn and trim that one bush down a couple of times during the season...that's it.

i tend to pick up the slack...for his benefit as well as mine (the stuff in the backyard is totally overgrown with lovely things like virginia creeper and poison ivy and tons of other stuff...god knows how the forsythia survives!). i regularly cut back that area to keep the weeds in check.

he'd said i could take the plant. i'm going to move it into the bed in front in the fall.

i'd like to split it or root it - if that's possible and i did just take a cutting - or get seeds so that i can start a new one.

these aren't the best...still haven't gotten my camera fixed and these are from a one-use camera

i do believe it's the same family as yours, shan...just a different variety (the coloring of the leaves are not at all like the magic carpet).

-

-
by shanbear on June 27, 2006 10:51 AM
Good Afternoon, Joclyn!

That is so wonderful of you to help your neighbour! Good karma. [thumb]

There are many types of Spirea and the one I think you have there is called: Japanese Spirea. Although I have to admit it looks like "Anthony Waterer" Spirea as well... You should be able to google both names and find descriptions that will match you exact plant. Unfortunately the pictures are a little hard to see; your leafs look quite long but that may be my eyes playing tricks.

Either way, beautiful! You are lucky to have those resources. Oh and to add to your post, Spirea's root quite easily so you won't have an issue. I'd just take a cutting!

Let me know what you find out and do! [gabby]

Sincerely,
Shanbear
by Squirrel on June 27, 2006 01:43 PM
When is the best time to prune Spirea? Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by shanbear on June 29, 2006 11:39 AM
Sue!

Sorry it took me so long to write back... my moving weekend has almost arrived and it's keeping me on my toes!

Japanese Spirea in particular is best pruned before spring growth begins. But if you're not talking about Japanese Spirea exactly, here's a general guide I like to follow:

Spring Blooming Spirea: The best times to prune are during May & June. All other months are not recommended at all! Pruning during those non suggested month should only occur if you are correcting any damage; be it structural or hazardous. Just a note, flowers are produced on wood from the previous season, if you prune during the dormant time, it will reduce flowers.

Summer Blooming Spirea: The best times to prune are only in January & February! Every other month isn't recommended.... but follows the same "correcting damage" rule as mentioned above. Note for this one: Flowers are only produced on this seasons wood.

So whichever category your Spirea falls under, that's what I'd suggest. Talk to you soon!

[gabby]
by Squirrel on June 29, 2006 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info, Shanbear. [thumb] [Smile] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: