The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Seperating a Large Jade Plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: separating rubber tree| Next thread: September!!! »
Back to Thread index
by Parae on January 06, 2005 06:59 PM
I Live in Upstate Western Ny
I just found this site , looking for info on the best way to seperate and replant a large Jade plant
need advice !
Thanks

Parae
by boxmonkey on January 13, 2005 08:50 AM
I don't know much about seperating jade plants, but I have to ask, why do you want to do that? If it's just because you'd like to have two jade plants instead of one, consider taking a cutting or three from the current plant and using those to make a new plant, much less risky and the process can be repeated many times.

Custom Weathervanes - hand made
by Amy R. on January 13, 2005 06:13 PM
Hi Parae,

i can't answer your question specifically, but here is a link that might help. at the bottom of the page there are a few more as well. good luck!

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/rootlessjade.htm
by papito on January 13, 2005 08:29 PM
I have 18 jade plants in ceramic containers half are over 15 years old. When I want more, I take cuttings from the mother plants and replant them [in soil] in other containers. So far I have had no problems. Jade plants are the easiest to grow, and they'll thrive even when neglected.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by catlover on January 13, 2005 09:36 PM
Hi Parae, and welcome to The Garden Helper [wayey]

I have several jades that are grown outside. You can divide by digging half the roots etc. "IF" there are multiple stems but I DO NOT RECOMMEND that!....it makes the plant want to fall over because of lack of root structure beneath the soil....like I said it can be done but it is a lot riskier and supports etc. would be necessary until the plant regrows those supporting roots.

Like others have stated I would take a nice healthy branch(refer to Bill's write up on how to remove and plant)....let it heal over (callous) for a couple days in the shade and then plant that section.

Some people worry about their jade branches leaning over when they get heavy...don't worry about it....they will produce a lot of little babies on the stem and you will have a much fuller plant. Jades are very forgiving plants and you can trim and cut etc. and they will come back again. The important thing is watering....they love quite a bit of water during certain times of the year(once established)...jades do have a resting period in which less water will be required. Something very important if growing them in pots in the house...make sure you let the top 1/3 of the soil dry before rewatering once established or you will end up with those dreaded fungus gnats.

Now remember I live in California and mine are planted outside. The more light jades have, will cause them to have a slight red along the tips of the pads(leaves). Right now my jades are blooming. [thumb]

Here in California I have seen jades water neglected for many months and the pads just shrivel up(they seem to be taller with less pads)...but as soon as it rains they plump up and they are on their merry way again.
Hope this has helped and not confused you! [perplexed]
If you have anymore questions be sure and ask...that is why we are all here...to help one another. Keep us updated on this thread and let us know what you decided to do and what your results were. Curious in California!!!
Good Luck!
Catlover [kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: separating rubber tree| Next thread: September!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: