The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

September!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Seperating a Large Jade Plants| Next thread: septic tank »
Back to Thread index
by ND farm girl on September 02, 2006 02:42 AM
September is here! I LOVE fall! It means cooler temps and planting bulbs and planning for next spring/summer flowers. Questions though...

Okay - I took a few cuttings from my Autumn Sedum yesterday...tried both ways, I put a few in a glass of water, and one I just plopped in the dirt. The ones in the water - when do I plant them? [dunno]

I did some cleaning up around my beds yesterday, cutting back perennials that were turning brown. I have some plants I need to move, should I wait until it is a little cooler, later in September?

Bulbs - Can I start planting these now, or should I wait until it is cool out every day - later in September?

I have to move some rose bushes....funny - they were nice when I first planted them this year, [flower] then didn't do much, [Eek!] now it's September and I have roses...go figure? [nutz] Should I wait a little longer before I move these too?

I get anxious [tongue] when it's cooler out to start moving things around and making more beds with bulbs...my sister says I move flowers more than I move furniture in my house!

Maybe I should check out the calander reminders? [gabby] There is probably some tips in there as to what needs to be done this month. [thinker]

Can you tell - I am excited it is September!? [clappy]

PattyM
by TulsaRose on September 02, 2006 03:25 AM
Patty, take ten steps back and exhale. [Big Grin] I love Fall, too...but there is an awful lot of work to get done before the first hard freeze. Bummer!
 -

Question 1. You can plant the sedum out as soon as you see roots in the water.

In your zone, I think you could be doing the moving, transplanting, etc. now and the bulbs can be planted up until just before the ground freezes.

Have fun, whatever you do! [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on September 02, 2006 04:22 AM
Yes - lots to do, and harvest! We don't have any wheat anymore, haven't for a few years, so we have our entire crop to harvest still - always a busy time, chasing the guys in the field, keeping them fed, helping them move from field to field, being pretty much a single parent at home until it snows, plus I still work 40+ hours as a transcriptionist...

Okay - I'm breathing now. [Smile] Thanks Rosie!

PattyM
by patches1414 on September 02, 2006 06:25 PM
Geesh, Patty, you already have me worn out just reading about what you are trying to accomplish this fall! [Roll Eyes] I don't think I do that much work in the spring and summer combined! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Good luck and Happy Harvesting! [thumb]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by dodge on September 03, 2006 07:26 AM
You can move the plants now .....Just be sure you keep them well watered.
I am doing lots of that in zone 6.. Now

Gives roots time to grasp for winter.. Also you can sow perennial seeds now..

dodge [gabby] [gabby] [gabby]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by ND farm girl on September 03, 2006 07:33 AM
What kind of perennial seeds? I've only ever planted periennial bulbs/roots.

PattyM
by dodge on September 03, 2006 08:07 AM
Seeds of Perennials

are Mexican har
foxglove
primrose
maltese cross
columbines
russian sage
blanket plants
canterburybells
russell lupines
conefloers
dianthus
sweet williams
coreopsis
hollyhock
hibiscus Hardy ones
bleeding hearts
Lobelia
toad lily
carnations
redsalvia comes back from seeds
That is just a few of them....
Go to one of the catalogs and look up Perennial seeds.
Gurneys or Burgess or something like that.

dodge

-
 -
by ND farm girl on September 03, 2006 08:23 AM
Most of the seeds I have say to plant in the spring or start early indoors, or maybe I can plant them now...hmmmm ??? [dunno] I'm in North Dakota, zone 3/4

PattyM
by patches1414 on September 03, 2006 08:33 AM
Dodge, I've been moving some of my plants now [Wink] and planting my Coneflower seeds! I always start my Hardy Hibiscus seeds inside, in pots, so I can keep a closer eye on them [Wink] and tend to their needs better, besides my squirrels like to dig them up! [Eek!] I really don't plant too many seeds because of all my garden critters! [Frown]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by dodge on September 03, 2006 08:43 AM
Trees , bring critters......DOnt you have a doggie to keep guard?

AN cats? They help here.

dodge

-
 -
by dodge on September 03, 2006 08:46 AM
What they mean is to plant 6 or 8 weeks before the last frost......Not now.

THe Perennials are the only seeds to plant outside right now for winter...
SD is probably colder than Here....

dodge

-
 -
by ND farm girl on September 03, 2006 08:52 AM
Dodge - 6 to 8 weeks before the last frost right before spring correct?

Patches - hardy hibiscus seeds inside now - do you then put them out later this fall?

PattyM
by patches1414 on September 03, 2006 09:20 AM
quote:
Trees , bring critters......DOnt you have a doggie to keep guard?

AN cats? They help here.

Awww Dodge, I love my critters! [Love] I get mad when they destroy my bird feeders and dig up my newly planted annuals, [Mad] but I still love and enjoy them! [Wink] Geesh, they are doing what we do - just trying to survive! [Smile] I've learned to live with them and I even buy "Critter Mix" for them! [dunno]

I have a kitten and he loves to lay in the window and watch and enjoy the squirrels' antics too! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by dodge on September 03, 2006 10:00 AM
ND

Correct

Before speing.

dodge

-
 -
by dodge on September 03, 2006 10:02 AM
patches.......

to each his own........... [tongue] [lala] [lala]

Our kittens we are hoping will be good mousers.
Helps save the barn for sure..
[angel]
dodge

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 03, 2006 10:09 AM
quote:
Patches - hardy hibiscus seeds inside now - do you then put them out later this fall?

No, Patty, I don't put them out in the fall! [Frown] I raise them inside under lights all winter and plant them or give them away in the spring! [Wink]

-
 -
by ND farm girl on September 03, 2006 10:42 AM
Are they pretty big by spring? Will they flower the first year? Do you do this with a lot of seeds? So many of my seeds I just bought have a tip to start early indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost, but if I wanted them bigger when I plant them in the spring, is it safe to start them earlier than that. See? I have no patience! [Razz]

PattyM
by plantqueen on September 06, 2006 05:26 AM
I am wondering the same thing Patty! I am in zone 4 and I believe that you must be in zone 3. Correct???

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by dodge on September 06, 2006 05:55 AM
ND farmgirl

Yes I start some of my stuff in February ..Like tomatoes...
They bear sooner.....
I do flowers too.........

As long as you have windows for sun or lights to put them all under your in business....
I use one upstairs room with lots of windows.

dodge

gogger..........

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Seperating a Large Jade Plants| Next thread: septic tank »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: