The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

another jade question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Another Jade Plant Problem| Next thread: Another mystery bird..... »
Back to Thread index
by mom4home on January 02, 2005 09:33 PM
i have a jade tree/plant that is over 10 years old. some of the leaves are turning yellow and quite a few branches just wither up and fall off. the leaves are nice and thick, so not sure that it needs water. i actually just forget about it - just give it water when it seems to look "thirsty". but this yellow leaves bit has me puzzled. any ideas?
frankie
by Nako on January 02, 2005 11:00 PM
is it getting enough light? is it cold there? That's all i can think of >.o other than that you're doing the right thing so far ^.^ *thinks* the temperature and lighting are the only things i don't know about.

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Amy R. on January 03, 2005 07:35 AM
hi there,
i'm not a jade expert by any means(although i am a huge fan), but i checked out my ancient better homes and gardens book and here is what they had to say...

too much water
too little water or too much heat
too little fertilizer
sudden rise or fall in temperature

of course, this is all incredibly generic information, but i'm hoping it will help. i have found that my jade's have withstood almost every possible atrocity, so unless you are torturing it, hee hee, i'm hoping that it will be okay. good luck!
by mom4home on January 03, 2005 11:19 PM
oops, ya hit it right on the nail. haven't fertilized it in months/years/eons!?!?! ya think that might do it?
as for the light, it is in a southern exposure window. i usually don't move it. he just sits there and is. it might be to hot, as we have been unseasonably warm and sunny.
but one thing at a time. i'll try food for him first and then try all the others. thanks for all your help
by Amy R. on January 04, 2005 03:31 AM
oh, good, i'm glad you found an answer. here is some more info my ancient book gives:

do best in four+ hours direct sunlight, but will also do well in bright indirect or curtain filtered sunlight.
prefer night temps of 50-55 and day of 68-72, will tolerate range of 40-100.
let soil dry out between thorough waterings.
feed every 3-4 months.
repot any season, but can live root-bound for years.

it sounds like your southern exposure is perfect, as long as it doesn't get too hot. have you ever seen one bloom? i had no idea(duh), but the flowers are so lovely. anyway, good luck, and keep us posted!
by AliC on January 04, 2005 02:19 PM
Hi There

I am new to this forum so please be gentle with me [grin]

I too have a Jade Plant question.....

Mine is only a few years old and has been re-potted twice. It stands about 10" tall so it is still only a baby. The last few days I have noticed that 80% of the leaves have white spots on them. There are 9 or 10 leaves that have fallen off and kind of chrystalised.

I tried to rub the spots off thinking it would be some sort of watery residue [Roll Eyes] but it wasnt. The leaves are now rough to the touch because of the white spots.

The spots are very tiny.

I don't recall feeding the plant much over the past few years, but it is watered every fortnight or so (when it's dried out)

It used to be a very happy plant but it's obviously not happy at the minute. I hope someone can tell me what this problem is as I can't find it in any of my books that I have here at home.

Cheers

Ali [kitty]
by Nako on January 04, 2005 05:06 PM
hi!
Okie dokie, if those little spots aren't moving around, then they're mineral deposits from your water. Do you mist it? cuz that could be what's doing it. I recommend distilled or drinking water if you wana prevent the spots. This also happened to my friends jade. if you gently scratch some of the spots with ur nail, i'm pretty sure they'll come off.

Good luck with that [Smile]

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by AliC on January 04, 2005 05:26 PM
hello, thx for your reply

No, I dont mist it and they are not moving around.

I tried to scratch them off but with no success.

I will try different water and see what happens and I will give it a drop of liquid food too. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

If not, then i'll be back !! [wayey]

Ali [kitty]
by AliC on January 04, 2005 05:54 PM
Ummmmmmmmm, I have just had a little scratch at these white spots and they DO come off!!

So mineral deposits it is [kissies]

Thx again for your help

Ali [kitty]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Another Jade Plant Problem| Next thread: Another mystery bird..... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: