The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

frozen peace lily

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Frozen Hostas| Next thread: frozen tips on hydrangea »
Back to Thread index
by cindym on February 02, 2004 04:38 AM
I just received a hugh peace lily after the death of my father n law. When it was delivered, I was not home and the plant spent 24 - 48 hours outside in very cold weather. It may have reached the low 20's over the nighttime. Now the plant is just withering. The leaves are turning black and it is getting worse everyday. HELP!

cindy
by weezie13 on February 02, 2004 05:34 AM
[wayey] Hello Cindy [wayey]

Well, my first reaction to your post,
I can't answer here!!

Who delivered it to you???????????

A delivery service
or a relative.??????????

If it's a delivery service I'd go
get to some accountability!!!!!
If it was a relative,??? [dunno] ??
Well meaning one???
Well, not much you can do there!

I am not tooooo large into house plants,
but I'm pretty sure, most of the house
plants are either some type of tropical or
an understory type plant.....
Which are not normally in such temp's......

Was it directly left into the elements?
(ie; wind, snow??)
Left into an inclosed area, out of the elements?

We have several houseplant gardeners here,
they all swing through at different times,
someone then maybe able to help you!!!

I do hope that while you are waiting for someone
to come through, you'll take a bit of time and go through some of the new catagories we've added,
like recipes, crafts, hobbies, banter hall for chatting, and a game room for us gardeners to keep us busy waiting for spring!!

Do you have anymore houseplants??? Just curious!!

Weezie

Hey Karen, we've got another Nurse!!! [wayey]
(*Cindy, we've got a bunch of them here!!!!)

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Jiffymouse on February 02, 2004 05:19 PM
[wayey] hey cindy [wayey] welcome to the garden helper. there is a small chance your peace lily is salvagable, but it is only a small chance. the first consideration is if the soil was frozen. if so, then there is nothing to do. if not... then keep reading.

first off, your best bet is like weezie said, if a delivery service just left it, then get some accountability and have it replaced. if not, if it was a well meaning relative/friend, then here is what you can do. i don't guarentee results, but...

first, i know you have it in the house now, so, keep it watered, but don't water it much as if it were lush and green. (only when the soil starts to dry (but don't let it completely dry out). DO NOT TRY TO FEED IT. fertilizer is the worst thing you can do to it right now. then, as the leaves turn black, cut that leaf back as far as you can get it. do this one by one, until there is nothing but green. even if you end up cutting it back to just the base with out any leaves, it can still recover if you have patience and the willingness to let it do it at its own time. keep it in a spot where it will get good light and be patient. i have brought them back that way, (one i got when my mother died, to be specific. i have had it 14 years now, and it has survied 3 moves on top of that!).

good luck and keep us posted.
by Will Creed on February 02, 2004 10:29 PM
I am sorry, Cindy, but your peace lily is gone. Don't even think about trying to revive it. Keeping it around will just serve as an unpleasant reminder of what happened to it.

Do try to get the responsible party to make good on the not very responsible decsion to leave it outside in freezing weather.
by Bonsai Beginner on February 23, 2004 04:07 AM
I'm sorry about your lily. The only thing I can think of is to keep it warm. Maybe it will thaw out???

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Frozen Hostas| Next thread: frozen tips on hydrangea »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: