The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Indoor peace lily

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by etwofoot on October 18, 2005 10:44 PM
Hi all;
I have an indoor peace lily that I have cared for verbatim from the sites recommendations. The plant is in its second year and second re-pot in it's favorite place(the bathroom)and has been watered and fertilized using 20-20-20 liquid and hi end potting soil. The lily has strong greenery and loves an occasional shower when dusty but refuses to bloom. I love the flowers but I don't get any. Boo-hoo.
Any Ideas??
also-are peace lilies poisonous to felines? [dunno]

et
by loz on October 19, 2005 12:49 AM
Hi there et, I'm going to move your post to the houseplant section where it will get more replies....

So glad you found us, and welcome to the forum!

Laura
by Cricket on October 19, 2005 06:08 AM
Hi ET,

I suspect repotting twice in as many years is inhibiting blooms. Peace lilies prefer to be potbound before blooming. You might have better success if you leave it in the same pot.

Cricket
by Will Creed on October 19, 2005 07:04 AM
What Cricket says is very true. In addition, many peace lilies sold today are hybrids that are designed to bloom profusely at point of sale, but are weak bloomers after that. Great for the retailers, but disappointing to the customers! [Razz]

But don't give up trying because you don't know what you have.
by etwofoot on October 19, 2005 09:22 AM
Thanks all- You have both offered more info than any of the other(depot) experts could give-repot it was there only input?

et
by Jiffymouse on October 19, 2005 10:52 AM
and as far as it being hazardous to felines, i have a 14 year old peace lily and 3 felines, one we've had for 10 years, one for 9 years, and one for about 6 months.
by Cricket on October 19, 2005 10:58 AM
The ASPCA lists peace lilies as toxic to animals but, like Jiffy, I've had peace lilies and cats for years without problems. Most cats are savvy enough to leave toxic plants alone but with some cats having toxic plants within reach could be dangerous. You can minimize the risk by providing your cat with kitty greens and lots of toys to play with.

ASPCA toxic plant list
by Will Creed on October 20, 2005 05:32 AM
Hey, we're better than the Depot folks! That's high praise. [muggs] Let's all go out and celebrate. Jiffy, you're a hostess. Can you set something up? I'll spring for the wine!

Will
by Cricket on October 20, 2005 05:40 AM
Jiffy's springing for wine! Count me in! [muggs]
by Jiffymouse on October 20, 2005 07:56 AM
will, you can buy the wine if we can go to paula deen's restaurant lady & son's. it's local for me, so i'll make the reservations! and, etwofoot, you bring the peace lily for added decor. now, let's get back on topic and have fun!!!
by Will Creed on October 20, 2005 08:19 AM
"now, let's get back on topic and have fun!!!"

I think the party is now over! [tears]
by Cricket on October 20, 2005 08:22 AM
Oops, sorry Will, it was you who is springing for wine. Great! [thumb] I'm there!

OK, Jiffy, back on topic. [Razz]

Will, can you suggest peace lily hybrids other than Mona Loa that are good bloomers? I haven't seen Mona Loa locally for quite some time.
by Will Creed on October 20, 2005 08:30 AM
Cricket,

'Sensation' and 'Wallisi' have been pretty good with flowers in the past. There are so many different hybrids now that it is hard to know what you have. In other words, newer hybrids often mimic older hybrids.

Sensation has very large leaves and is usually sold only in large sizes. The flowers are not many, but they are very large and often have a sweet odor.

Wallisi is a small variety with leaves that are rarely more than 6 inches long and are usually in 6" or 8" pots. It has lots of small flowers and blooms regularly.
by Cricket on October 20, 2005 09:21 AM
Thanks, Will. I'll look around for 'Sensation'. I already have 2 smaller leaf and flower varieties and am looking for a large leaf hybrid.

Active Garden Forum