The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Frozen Hostas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: frozen container plants| Next thread: frozen peace lily »
Back to Thread index
by slredmond on April 07, 2006 12:21 AM
Picked up a box of Hosta Elegans at Sam's Club. They looked terrific and were already growing about 6" tall with fantastic root structure. So - I potted them up and put them in my new greenhouse I used to love [Mad] (too cold yet to put in the ground). This baby was anchored down all the way around, and surrounded by buildings on the North and West, and a huge row of pines on the East. Well, 35 mph winds blew the whole blasted greenhouse over, [Eek!] so my poor hostas spent the night at 27 degrees. They now look like lettuce that's been in the freezer. Should I hack all that off and hope that new tops will grow, or just leave them alone and see what happens. [dunno]

Sandy R.
by johnCT on April 07, 2006 01:28 AM
Just trim off the damaged foliage. Or you could just leave them be. Doesn't matter, they'll grow back just fine. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by patches1414 on April 07, 2006 03:23 PM
Hi Sandy! [wavey]

I would leave them alone and I believe they will be fine. [thumb] I found one last year in a clump of dirt that was dug up and forgotten, [Frown] so it spent the winter upside down with the roots exposed. [tears] When I was shoveling the dirt in the spring, it got flipped over and the poor thing was already growing. [Wink] So, I planted it and it did great! [clappy] I'm in zone 5.

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by slredmond on April 07, 2006 06:28 PM
OK - thanks John and Patches. I was major whiny [Razz] because these things looked SO good and I already had my beautiful shade garden laid out in my head! (There's plenty of empty space in my head so it didn't hurt.) [nutz] [Big Grin] [nutz]

I'll keep you posted.

Sandy R.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: frozen container plants| Next thread: frozen peace lily »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: